Home      SHIP TOWAGE LTD. [2]

SHIP TOWAGE [LONDON] LIMITED

FLEET LIST

HIBERNIA - WATERCOCK (2)

Page last updated 23-3-2013
 
-------------------------------------
HIBERNIA


Photo Svitzer UK Ltd

 Photo Ray's Colln.
 
Photo STL Colln. 
 
Photo P Sutherland
 
Built 1962 by Cochrane and Sons, Selby. YN1483. Screw Tug. L118'2''. B30'1''. D12'. 293grt. 1800bhp 9cyl 2 S.C.S.A. 340 x 570mm British Polar MN16 diesel engine. BP30t.  Acquired 1962. Disposed 1975. Official No. 304415. Call sign GKTA.
 
16-8-1962 Launched. 1-1963 Completed  for William Watkins Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd., managers.  20-9-1968 Owners restyled  London Tugs Ltd. [same managers].  17-11-1973 Ferried Kent Fire Brigade personnel and their equipment from Dover Harbour to the German MV Cap San Antonio, on fire off Shakespeare cliff with a cargo including dangerous chemicals. 1-1-1975 Owners acquired by Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool. 28-4-1976 Owners restyled Alexandra Towing Co. [London] Ltd. 1975 Kort nozzle and CP Propellor fitted. 9-1987 Sold to Achilleus II Shipping Co., Thessalonika, Greece, renamed Atrotos. 1991 Sold to Karapiperis, Piraeus, Greece, renamed Karapiperis X. Greek flag, official no. 6504, call sign SW4106. .  1996 Transferred to Karapiperis X Tug & Salvage Shipping Company, (S. Karapiperis, manager), Greece. 7-6-2006 Sold to Katakolon Tugboat Services Shipping Co., Katakolon, Greece for 360,000 euros. 2007  renamed  Alfios. 10-11-2007 Responded to SOS from Turkish MV Akdag with engine failure in force 10 gale 12 miles south of Katakolon. Towed the vessel into port where 293 immigrants were discovered in the hold. 2011 Owners Ergasies Rimoulkiseos Katakolou Naftiki Eteria,  Piraeus.
 
 
ALFIOS in 2008. Photo N. Alexandropoulos.
 
ALFIOS in 2010. Photo Nolly Harvey.
 
ALFIOS; Main engine in 2010. Photo N Harvey.
 
ALFIOS; Wheelhouse in 2010. Photo Nolly Harvey.
 
-----------------------------------------------
 
IONIA


Photo Svitzer UK Ltd.


 Photo B. Hunt Colln.
 
Built 1959 by Henry Scarr Ltd, Hessle. YN771. Screw Tug. L99'9''. B26'2''. D11'7''. 187grt. 900bhp 6cyl 2 S.C.S.A. 340 x 570mm British Polar MN16 Diesel engine. BP27t. Speed 10 knots. Acquired 1960. Disposed 1975. Official No. 301193. Call sign GHGX.
 
24-4-1959 Launched. 8-1959 Completed for William Watkins Ltd.,  Ship Towage [London] Ltd., Managers.  20-9-1968 Owners restyled  London Tugs Ltd.[same managers].  1973 Gearbox, Kort nozzle and 3 rudders fitted at Tyne Dock and Engineering Co. Ltd, Newcastle. BP 22 tons. 1-1-1975 Owners acquired by Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool. 28-4-1976 Owners restyled Alexandra Towing Co [London] Ltd. 1987 Sold to Falmouth Towing Co Ltd., Falmouth. 1988 renamed St. Mawes. 2001 Sold to Anderson, London but laid up at Bideford . 2005 Sold to Exploring Life Ltd, Buckfastleigh, Devon  renamed Ionia.  2009 sold to Rachael Swain, Bideford, Plans to convert into a partial cafe called Tea on the Tug on the River Torridge.
 
 
Photos of Ionia's engine courtesy Kevin Haydon
----------------------------------- 
 
 
 
MOORCOCK


Photo Svitzer UK Ltd

 Photo Ray's Colln.
 
Built 1959 by Henry Scarr Ltd, Hessle. YN763 Screw Tug. L113'6''. B28'8''. D12'6''. 272grt. 1280bhp 8cyl 2 S.C.S.A. 340x570mm British Polar MN16 Diesel engine. BP 27t. Acquired 1959. Disposed 1975. Scrapped 1981. Official No. 301004. Call sign GFJH.
 
23-6-1959 Launched for Gamecock Tugs Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd. managers 10-1959 Completed. 1964 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., [Ship Towage [London] Ltd., Managers]. 20-9-1968 Owners restyled London Tugs Ltd. same managers. 1-1-1975:Owners acquired by the Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool. 28-4-1976 Owners restyled  Alexandra Towing Co. [London] Ltd. 12-1981 Scrapped at Queenborough, Kent.
-------------------------------------------------
 
OCEAN COCK
 
 In Gaselee colours, based Felixstowe.        Photo Ray's Colln.
 
Built 1932 by Alexander Hall and Co. Ltd., Aberdeen. YN640. Screw Tug. L96'. B25.1'. D11.8'. 184grt. 1000ihp 3cylTE 16"x25"x42"x27"s steam engine by builder. Acquired 1950. Disposed 1969. Scrapped 1969. Official No. 162695. Call sign MBBN.
 
23-2-1932 Launched. 3-1932 Delivered to Gamecock Steam Towing Co. Ltd., Gravesend. 9-6-1938 Sank in Gravesend Reach  after collision with Port Nicholson. Four lives lost. Salved and towed to Doig's Grimsby for refit. 31-5-1940 0500 Departed Dover and crossed to Dunkirk towing six motor boats and returned. 1-6-1940 Crossed to Dunkirk again under Master A V Mastin ordered to bring home anything to be found. 26-7-1940 Req by Admiralty, managers Steel and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow. 12-1940 Stationed on River Clyde.  21-12-1945 Returned to owners. 1-2-1950 Transferred to Gamecock Tugs Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd. managers. 1964 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., same managers. 1964 Converted to oil fired boiler at Sheerness. 1966 Transferred to Gaselee [Felixstowe] Ltd. 9-1968 Transferred to Ship Towage [London] Ltd. 27-1-1969 Transferred to London Tugs Ltd. 25-2-1969 Scrapped by Scrappinco NV., Willbroeck,  Antwerp.
----------------------------------------------
 
RANA
 
 Photo A. Hughes Colln.
 
Built 1951 by Cochrane and Sons, Selby. YN1373. Screw Tug. L80'3''. B21'6''. D8'6''. 98grt. 750bhp 5cyl 4 S.C.S.A. British Polar Diesel engine. Acquired 1965. Disposed 1975. Official No. 184541.
 
1951 Completed for Gaselee and Son Ltd., London. 1-5-1965 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd managers. 20-9-1968 Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd. same managers. 1-1-1975 Owners acquired by Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool. 28-4-1976 Owners restyled Alexandra Towing Co. [London] Ltd. 3-1975 Transferred to Alexandra Towing Co. Ltd., Swansea. 8-1979 Sold to Humphrey and Grey Lighterage Ltd., London renamed Redriff. 1984 Sold to Alan C Bennett, Rochester renamed Rana. 1990 Company restyled Medway Lighterage Ltd. 8-2002 Sold to Mr Anderson.  Converted to houseboat and moored at Hoo, River Medway.
-----------------------------------------------
 
VANQUISHER
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1954 by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle. YN732. Screw Tug. L113'3''. B28'9''. D12'7''. 294grt. 1280bhp 8cyl 2 S.C.S.A. 340 x 570mm British Polar MN16 Diesel engine. BP27t. Acquired 1955. Disposed 1975. Scrapped 1982. Official No 186203. Call sign MVWF.
 
16-9-1954 Launched. 3-1955 Completed for Elliot Steam Tug Company (1949) Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd. managers. 12-1955 Restyled the Elliott Steam Tug Company Ltd., (same managers).  2-1956 Towed collision damaged Hellenic Lines vessel Germania from Pevensey Bay to Bremen. This job had originally been allocated to Rumania which had been lost a few days before. 3-1965 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., (same managers). 20-9-1968 Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers). 1-1-1975  Owners acquired by the Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool. 8-1-1976 Capsized and sank whilst undocking Jervis Bay at Tilbury. Salved. 28-4-1976 Owners restyled as Alexandra Towing Company (London) Ltd.  7-1982 Scrapped by Medway Secondary Metals Ltd.,  Bloors Wharf, Rainham Kent. First diesel tug in Ship Towage fleet.
 
The two pics above, top at Bremerhaven and lower at Ymuiden were taken during the tow of Germania in 1956. Photos K Haydon colln.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
VESPA
 
 As WENDY ANN at Poole. Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1934 by Alexander Hall and Co Ltd., Aberdeen. YN652. Screw Tug. L75'6''. B18'1''. D9'6''. 72grt. 480bhp 6cyl 4 S.C.S.A. Mirrlees-Bickerton Day diesel engine. Acquired 1965. Disposed 1970. Official No. 163552.
 
23-10-1934 Launched. 1934 Completed for Frederick Leyland and Co. Ltd, London as Brodstone. 1935 Sold to  Blackfriars Lighterage and Cartage Co Ltd., London renamed  Evelyn Brodstone.  1946 Sold to Gaselee and Son Ltd. London, renamed Vespa. 1953 Sunk in collision in Gallions Reach, River Thames. Salved. 1953 Re-engined with 525bhp British Polar Diesel engine. 1-5-1965 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd managers. 20-9-1968 Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers).  7-1970 Sold to Harry Rose [Towage] Ltd, Poole.  1972 Re-engined at Husbands Shipyard, Marchwood, Southampton with Mirrlees-Blackstone ESSL6 600bhp 4 S.C.S.A. 8¾”  x 11½”  diesel engine with Lister auxiliary, Blackstone gearbox 3 : 1 reduction, screw 6'6'' diameter. 1974 Renamed Wendy Ann. 1981 Company ceased trading and taken over by Poole Harbour Commissioners. 1996 Sold to Laxey Towing Co. Ltd., Douglas I.o.M. 2010 Still in service.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
WATER COCK [1]


Photo K Haydon colln

 Photo Ray's  Colln.
 
Built 1923 by Cochrane and Sons, Selby. YN785. Screw Tug. L96.6'. B24.5'. D11.8'. 200grt. 750ihp 3cylTE 14½" 24" & 40" x 27"s steam engine by Earles Ltd., Hull. Acquired 1950. Disposed 1966. Scrapped 1966. Official No. 147079. Call sign KNVF later MLKN.
 
17-2-1923 Launched. 4-1923 Completed  for United Towing Co Ltd., Hull as Masterman. 1925 Sold to George Doust, George Edgley et al T/as  Gamecock Steam Towing Co Ltd., Gravesend for £12900, renamed Water Cock.  1928 Transferred to Gamecock Steam Towing Company Ltd. 6-1940 Req by War Dept for salvage duties. 1940 Took part in Dunkirk operation. 17-11-1940 Departed Southend convoy FN336. 19-11-1940 Arrived Methil. 23-11-1940 Departed Methil convoy FS343. 25-11-1940 Arrived Southend. 21-11-1944 Departed Solent with convoy EBF43. 23-11-1944 Arrived Milford Haven. 8-2-1946 Returned to owners. 1-2-1950 Transferred to Gamecock Tugs Ltd. (John R. Watkins and Alfred D. Page) Ship Towage [London] Ltd managers. 1964 Sold to William Watkins Ltd., (same managers). 4-7-1966 Scrapped at Jos de Smedt, Willebroek, Belgium.
------------------------------------------------
 
WATERCOCK [2]
 
 Photo R. Stanford Colln.
 
Built 1967 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Hessle. Screw Tug. L30.71m. B7.83m. D3.81m. 161grt. 1050bhp 8cyl 4 S.C.S.A.(10¼" x 14½" Ruston and Hornsby diesel engine. BP 16t. Acquired 1967. Disposed 1975. Scrapped 1989. Official No 334530. Call sign GXKH.
 
6-1967 Completed for William Watkins Ltd., Ship Towage [London] Ltd. managers.  1968 Owners restyled as London Tugs Ltd., (same managers). 1-1-1975 Owners acquired by Alexandra Towing Company Ltd, Liverpool   28-4-1976 Owners restyled Alexandra Towing Co. [London] Ltd. 19-11-1989 Scrapped by Medway Drydock and Engineering Co Ltd., Sheerness.
-------------------------------------------------
 
***********************************