Home      P. L. A. [1]

PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY

     The Port of London Authority was established in 1908, bringing all the individual dock companies under one ownership.  Not all those listed were ship handling tugs, some belonging to the dredging department and others barge tugs, but many are interesting vessels and I have included them for completeness, as this is a little documented fleet.
 
Page last updated 23-9-2012

FLEET LIST

ALBION - EMBER


ALBION
 
Built 1898 by Hamilton Dansey, Camden Town, London. Screw tug. L47.45'. B10.23'. D4.1'. 12grt. 10nhp 2cyl compound steam engine by Tanner. ON109998. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1925.
 
1898 Delivered to Surrey Commercial Dock Co., London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1925 Sold to H. D. Lane, London.  1926 Sold to T. W. Ward Ltd., Sheffield for Scrap. 1929 Resold to P. Hallet, Greenwich. 1930 Believed sold for service in Mediterranean.
 
---------------------------------------
 
ALEXANDRA
 
Built 1877 by Samuda Brothers, Millwall. Paddle tug. L100.5'. B20.62'. D10.6'. 158grt. 80nhp 2cyl compound steam engine by Stewart Ltd., London.  Acquired 1909. Disposed 1911. Scrapped 1911? ON81544.
 
1877 Delivered to London and St. Katherines Docks Co., London. 1891 owners London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 owners restyled London and India Docks Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1911 Sold to French interests probably for scrap.
 
----------------------------------------------- 
 
BAYSWATER
 
Built 1915 by Lytham Shipbuilding and Eng. Co. Ltd., Lytham St. Annes. YN522. Twin screw tug. L68'6". B15'7". D7'. 56grt. 160ihp 2x2cyl 8"x18"x12"s compound steam engines by builder. Acquired 1920. Disposed 1925. ON146151.
 
15-7-1915 Launched. 1915 Delivered to War Office as A45. 1916 Now AS45. 1920 Acquired by PLA, renamed Bayswater. 1925 Sold to J. Livingston and Son, London. 1927 Owner W. E. Palmer, London. 1935 Owner W. E. H. Bernays, London. 1935 Owner Port Autonome de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France, renamed Remorqueur No 3.  No further trace.
 
-------------------------------------------- 
 
  
 BEAM
 
Photo Ray's colln.

Built 1910 by Ferguson Bros., Pt. Glasgow. YN193. L86'. B22.6'. D10.8'. 168grt. 1000ihp. 2x2cyl 19"x40"x24"s 125psi compound steam engines by builder. twin screw. Acquired 1910. Disposed 1966. Scrapped 1966. ON129134.
 
9-1910 Delivered to PLA. 1966 Sold for scrap to Northern Slipway Ltd., Dublin. Pumps and other machinery removed in Surrey Commercial Docks, London. Hull then presumably resold and towed to Queenborough, Kent for demolition.
-------------------------------------
 
BEATRICE
 
Built 1881 by Samuda Brothers, Millwall. Paddle tug. L100.5'. B20.62'. D10.6'. 159grt. 80nhp 2cyl compound steam engine by Stewart, London. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1911. ON89528.
 
1881 Delivered to London and St. Katherines Dock Co., London. 1891 Owners London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 Owners renamed London and India Docks Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1911 Sold to French interests probably for scrap.
 
----------------------------------------- 
 
BENFLEET
 
Built 1907 by J & K Smit, Kinderdijk. YN588. L65.7'. B14.7'. D7.3'. 45grt. 200ihp 2cyl compound 9.5"x20" 14" stroke 140psi steam engine by John Stewart, London. Acquired 1908 Disposed 1932?. Scrapped 1960. ON125657.
 
9-1907 Delivered to John Stewart and Son Ltd., London named Useful. 1913 Acquired by PLA renamed Benfleet. 1919 Req for Admiralty service. 1923 returned to owner.1932 Owner  Mrs Emma Hallett, East Greenwich. 1935 Sold to F. Ashmead and Son, Bristol. 10-1939  Req by Admiralty. 15-12-1944 Returned to owner. 1960 Scrapped at Bristol.
----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
 
BEVERLEY
 
 
Built 1910 by Ferguson Bros., Pt. Glasgow. YN192. L86'. B22.6'. D10.8'. 168grt. 1000ihp. 2x2cyl 19"x40"x24"s 125psi compound steam engines by builder. Acquired 1910. Disposed 1965. Scrapped 1965. ON129127.
 
1910 Delivered to PLA. 19-2-1965 Sold to T. W. Ward Ltd., Grays Essex for demolition. 23-2-1965 Arrived at T W Ward Ltd., Grays,  for scrapping.
-----------------------------------------
 

BRENT
 
Photo RGR Colln.
At Maldon 2008. Photo Colin Collier.
 
Built 1945 by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland. YN286. TID class standard tug. L65'. B17'. D8'. 54grt. 220ihp 2cyl compound oil fired steam engine by John Dickinson & Son, Sunderland. Acquired 1946. Disposed 1969. ON181130. Callsign GCML.
 
1945 Delivered to MoWT, named TID 159. 1946 Sold to PLA. 1948 Renamed Brent. 1969 Sold for demolition to Stour Salvage Co., Mistley. 1971 Sold to R & J Hall, Maldon for preservation.2007 Still in existence at Maldon. (The last steam tug to be used in the enclosed London dock system)
--------------------------------------------
 
BROODBANK
 
Photo Ian Boyd.
Photo A Hughes colln
 
Built 1966 by James W. Cook (Wivenhoe) Ltd  YN 1330.  L17.10m. B9.40m. D2.70m. 189 GRT.  1000bhp 2 x  Rolls Royce DV8TM turbocharged diesel engines. 2 x Schottel SRP 225 units driven by vertical polyvee belts.. Acquired 1966. Disposed 1994. ON 337027
 
1966 delivered to PLA . 1994 Sold to Briggs Commercial Ltd, Burntisland. 1995 Rebuilt to workboat and for pushing, renamed Forth  Constructor. 2003 Re-engined   1200bhp 2x  MAN-Daewoo  V180TIH diesel engines.2007 still in service.
---------------------------------------------
 
CANADA
 
Photo D. Asprey colln.
 
Built 1902 by G Rennie and Co., Greenwich. YN949. L69.2'. B16.5'. D8.15'. 56grt. 350ihp 2cyl 16"x32"x18"s 120psi compound steam engine by Plenty and Son, Newbury. Bunkers 7 tons. ON115996.  Acquired 1908. Disposed 1950. Scrapped 1950.

1902 Delivered to Surrey Commercial Dock Company, London. 1908 Owners Port of London Authority. 1922 Reboilered with Scotch type boiler by James Neilson and Son, 10.5'diax9.5'L. 1950 Scrapped.
 
----------------------------------------------

CRAY
 
Built 1913 by Phillip and Son, Dartmouth. YN412. L72'. B18'6". D8'8". 72grt. 380ihp 2cyl 14"x30"x24"s 180psi compound steam engine by builder. Acquired 1913 Disposed 1960. Scrapped 1960. ON.135219.
 
1913 Delivered to PLA. 24-12-1941 Req for Admiralty service. 7-1946 Returned to PLA. 1960 Sold for scrap to Lacmots Ltd, Queenborough.  Resold to  IJzer- en Metaalhandel 'De Zaan' (P.Prins), Wormerveer. 10-6-1960 Departed London in tow of tug Doggersbank. 11-6-1960 Arrived Ijmuiden for scrapping.  
------------------------------------------------

CROISETT
 
Built 1892 at North Shields. Screw tug. L60.72'. B13.23'. D6.36'. 28grt.  120ihp. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1941. ON114714.
 
1892 Delivered to unknown. 1901 Owner London Grain Elevator Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1941 Sold to W. J. R. Whitehair Ltd., London. No further trace. 1957 Stll listed as owner.
 
----------------------------------------------
 
 
DARENT
 
Photog. unknown
 
Built 1907 by Ferguson Bros., Pt. Glasgow. YN176. Designed by James Pollock Ltd., London as dredging tender.  Ship No 183. L96'. B23.1'. D10.3'. 172grt. 700ihp 3cylTE 14"x21.5"x35" 24" stroke steam engine by builder. 180psi boiler 13'6"x10'6". Acquired 1908. Disposed 1949. Scrapped 1957. ON125673.
 
1907 Delivered to Thames Conservancy Board. 1908 Transferred to PLA (Dredging dept.). 24-2-1938 Port bow damaged when struck by MV Marali whilst moored off Gravesend. 1949 Sold to J.H. Lamey Ltd, Liverpool renamed Alfred Lamey. 10-1957 Scrapped at Barrow.
-----------------------------------------------
 
DART
 
Built 1870 by Joseph Samuda, Millwall. iron screw tug. L60.35'. B14'. D7.5'. 39grt. 30nhp. 2cyl compound steam engine by John Stewart, London. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1920. Scrapped 1926. ON63693.
 
1870 Delivered to Thames Conservancy Board, London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1920 owners Wilders and Walker Ltd., London. 21-1-1921 Damaged in collision off Erith. 1925 Owner F. W. Walker Ltd., London. 1926 Scrapped.
 
----------------------------------------- 
 
 
DEANBROOK (1)

Built 1908 by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, S. Shields. L86'. B21.1'. D11.5'. 148grt. 1000ihp 2x2cyl 19"x40"x24"s 125psi compound steam engines by builder. Acquired 1908. Disposed 1940. Scrapped 1940. ON148740.
 
1907 Delivered to London and India Docks Joint Committee, named Power. 1908 Transferred to PLA. 1926 Renamed Deanbrook. 8-11-1940 Struck mine in Tilbury Dock and sank with loss of crew. 27-11-1940 Salved in two parts and later scrapped.
--------------------------------------------
 
DEANBROOK [2]
 
 
 
 Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1946 by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland YN294. TID class standard tug. L74'. B17'. D8'. 54grt. 220ihp 2cyl compound steam engine by John Dickinson & Son Ltd., Sunderland. Acquired 1946. Disposed 1969. Scrapped 1969. ON181131. Callsign GCRW.
 
1946 Completed for MoWT, named TID 167. Managers Townsend Bros Ferries Ltd. 1946 Sold to PLA. 22-2-1947 Renamed Deanbrook. 1969 Sold to Northern Slipways Ltd., Dublin for demolition but finally broken up at Rochester, Kent.
---------------------------------------------- 

DEFIANCE
 
Built 1883 by William Allsup & Sons, Preston.  L90.84’. B18.96’. D8.97’. 114grt. 60nhp. 2cyl Compound steam engine by builder.  ON89514. Acquired 1908. Disposed 1912. Scrapped 1912?.
 
1883 Delivered to East & West India Docks Co.,  London. 1891 Owners London & India Docks Joint Committee, London.  1902 owners London & India Docks Co.,  London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1912 Sold to Arthur Bateman , Ilford. 1912  Scrapped.
----------------------------------------------------------
 
DOLLAR BAY
 
Photo © Alan Richardson.
 
Built 1944 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Thorne. YN T536. TID class standard tug. L65'. B17'. D7'4". 54grt. 220ihp 2cyl compound steam engine. Acquired 1947. Disposed 1969. Scrapped 1969. ON180315. Callsign MDSB.
 
25-9-1944 Launched. 8-12-1944 Completed for MoWT, named TID 115. 27-12-1944 On War Office service. 1947 Sold to PLA. 6-2-1948  Renamed Dollar Bay. 1969 Sold for demolition to Northern Slipways Ltd., Dublin, but actually broken up at Rochester, Kent.
------------------------------------------------
 
DREADNOUGHT
 
Built 1867 by T. A. Young Ltd., Blackwall. Paddle tug. L113'. B19.3'. D10.29'. 145grt. 120ihp 2cyl 30"x54" lever  steam engine by builder. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1910. Scrapped 1910. ON56858.
 
1867 Delivered to Daniel barker, John Spicer et al, London. 1871 Owner John R. Spicer, London. 26-11-1881 Towed damaged and abandoned sailing vessel Cordelia from New Deeps to Gravesend. 1884 [by] Owner G Spicer, Gravesend. 1891 Owner London and India Docks Committee, London. 1902 owner renamed London and India Docks Co., London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1910 Scrapped in Holland.
 
---------------------------------------------  
 
EMBER
 
Built 1908 by Rennie Forrest Shipbuilding Co., Wivenhoe Essex. Screw tug. L45.27'. B11.31'. D5.44'. 18grt. 2cyl compound steam engine by Mumford. ON125676. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1933. Scrapped 1949.
 
1908 Delivered to Thames Conservancy Board, London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1918 Req by Admiralty. Served Egypt. 1919 Returned to PLA. 1933 Sold to H. A. Deering [Lighterage] Ltd. London. 1938 Owners Greenhithe Lighterage Company Ltd. 1938 Re-engined 90bhp 2cyl Bolinder diesel engine. 1949 Scrapped.
 
-------------------------------------------- 
 
 
 

**************************************************************
 
NEXT PAGE