Home      P. L. A. [3]

   PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY

FLEET LIST

PLABOY - WILDFIRE

Page last updated 4-5-2013
=======================
 
PLABOY
 
Built 1957 by P K Harris Ltd., Appledore YN72. L61'7". B17'3". D7'6". 37grt. 360bhp 6cyl 4SCSA 10.25"x14.5" Ruston & Hornsby  diesel engine. ON181402. Acquired 1959. Disposed 1971. Lost 1971
 
20-11-1957 launched. 8-4-1958 Completed . 1958 Delivered to J H Piggott Ltd., Grimsby, named Charles Edward. 1959 Acquired by PLA renamed Plaboy. 1970 Sold to Pounds Shipowners and Shipbreakers Ltd., Portsmouth. 1971 Sold to Frangakis, Chios, Greece renamed Achillefs. 8-12-1971 Sank in Strait of Tunis enroute to Greece.
-------------------------------------------
 
PLACARD
 
 Built 1966 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Hessle. YN S809. L87'7". B26'7". D9'. 122grt. 1600bhp 16cyl Lister Blackstone diesel engine + 1 x VS unit. Acquired 1966. Disposed 1961. ON 308049.
 
3-1966 Delivered to PLA. 1991 Sold to Port of Tilbury, renamed Orsett. 1998 Sold to John Dean Tugs, Hull. 8-2002 Laid up at Hull. 4-5-2013 Reported arrived at New Holland, Lincs, for scrapping.
--------------------------------------
 

PLACATE
 
Built 1951 by James Pollock Ltd., Faversham. YN1940. L54.5'. B13'. D6'. 24grt. 150bhp Crossley diesel engine. ON184428. Acquired 1951. Disposed 1981.
 
5-1951 Delivered to PLA. 1981 Sold to Ironwharf Boatyard, Faversham, renamed Pep. 2005 Still in service.
---------------------------------------------
 
PLACER
 
 Built 1968 by James Cook Ltd., Wivenhoe. YN1357. L48.1'. B15.1'. D6.3'. 38grt. 1 x Schottel propulsion unit. Acquired 1968. Disposed 1974. ON 337012.

1968 Delivered to PLA. 1974 Sold to British Waterways Board, London, rebuilt as push-tug, renamed Freight Endeavour. 1990 Sold to John Dean Tugs, Hull. 2005 Still in service.
-------------------------------------------
 
 
PLAGAL
 
Built 1951 by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle. YN662. L92'10". B24'2". D12'6". 159grt. 1200bhp. 2x4cyl Crossley diesel engines. 2xscrew.  Acquired 1951 Disposed 1986. Scrapped 1986. ON184520.
 
11-1951 Delivered to PLA. 1968 Reengined with 2xRolls Royce V12 diesel engines 2500bhp. 1986 Scrapped by G & T Services, Barking.
---------------------------------------------
 
PLANGENT
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1951 by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle. YN663. L92'10". B24'2". D12'6". 159grt. 1200bhp 2x 4cyl Crossley diesel engines. 2xScrew. Acquired 1952. Disposed 1986. ON184548.
 
12-1951 Delivered to PLA. Tug was fitted with Kort nozzles from new but these were soon removed due to their propensity for jamming up with driftwood in the enclosed docks. 9-1972 Sank in KGV dock after hitting an underwater projection on the lock gate. Salved and repaired. 1972 Reengined with 2x6cyl Blackstone diesel engines. 1986 Sold to Hellenic Tugs, Piraeus, renamed Cerberus. 1997 Owners Kerveros Naftiki Eteria, Piraeus, renamed Kerveros. 2002 Still in service. 2006 Possibly scrapped??
-------------------------------------------
 
PLANKTON
 
Photo A. Creagh colln.
 
 Built 1965 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Hessle. L87'7". B26'. D9'. 160grt 1600bhp 16cyl Lister Blackstone diesel engine + 1 x VS unit. Acquired 1965. Disposed 1991. ON307825.
 
1965 Delivered to PLA. 7-9-1991 Sold to Port of Tilbury Ltd., renamed Linford. 1998 Sold to Deans Tugs Ltd., Hull.
--------------------------------------------
 
PLANTER
 
 Built 1968 by James Cook Ltd., Wivenhoe. YN1358. L48.1'. B15.1'. D6.3'. 38grt. 1 x Schottel propulsion unit.  Acquired 1968. Disposed 1984. ON337013.

18-3-1968 Delivered to PLA. 1984 Sold to Boston Putford Offshore Safety Ltd., Lowestoft. 4-2000 Owners Seacor Smit, Lowestoft. 2005 Still in service.
 
--------------------------------------------
 
PLASHY
 
Photo Ben @ Liquid Highway.
 
Built 1951 by James Pollock Ltd., Faversham. YN1941. L45.2'. B12.5'. D5'10". 90bhp Crossley diesel engine. ON184431. Acquired 1951. Disposed 1993.
 
8-1951 Delivered to PLA. 1993 Sold to F. J. Waterage, London. 2006 Still in service.
-------------------------------------------

PLASMA
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
See under Burma in ATCL lists.
-----------------------------------------------

PLASTRON
 
Built 1953 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Thorne. L75'10". B20'10". 80grt. 440bhp Crossley diesel engine. Acquired 1953. Disposed 197? Lost 1973. ON185888.
 
16-1-1953 Launched. 1953 Delivered to PLA. 197? Sold to Southern Ocean Services, Portsmouth. 1973 Foundered off north Cornish coast.
-----------------------------------------------

PLATEAU
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1952 by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle. YN668. L92'10". B24'2". D12'6". 159grt. 1200bhp 2 x 4cyl Crossley diesel engines. 2xScrew. Acquired 1952. Disposed 1974. Scrapped 2006. ON184731.
 
1952 Delivered to PLA. 1974 Sold to Holyhead Towing Co., Holyhead, renamed Afon Las. 1988 Sold to John G. Thoroughgood, Liverpool, renamed Alys Ann. 1991 To Western Ocean Towing Co. Ltd., Plymouth, renamed Towingman. 1992 Returned to Thoroughgood, Liverpool. 1995 To Manassy Ltd., Kingstown, renamed Alys Ann. 1996 Sold to Tyne Towage Ltd., Dunston, renamed T. H. Dev. 1998 Reengined 2x 6cyl GM Detroit diesel engines. 2003 Company taken over by Svitzer. 2003 Sold??. 4-2006 Sold for scrapping by C. J. Marine, Howdon.
--------------------------------------------------- 

PLATINA
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1952 by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle. YN667. L92'10". B24'2". D12'6". 159grt. 1200bhp. 2x4cyl Crossley diesel engines. 2xscrew. Acquired 1952. Disposed 1973. Scrapped 1979. ON184587.
 
5-1952 Delivered to PLA. 1973 Sold to Holyhead Towing Co., renamed Afon Goch, but only cannibalised for spares for Afon Las. 1976 Renamed Afon Caradoc. 1979 Scrapped by Frank Rijsdijks Industriele Bedrijven, Hendrik ido Ambacht, NL.
-------------------------------------------------------
 
PLATONIC
 
 Built 1968 by J W Cook Ltd., Wivenhoe. YN1359. L52.8'. B15'. D8.1'. V8cyl Rolls Royce diesel engine. Acquired 1968. Disposed 1973. ON337014

3-1968 Delivered to PLA. 1973 Sold to F T Everard and Sons Ltd., Greenhithe, renamed Capable. 1985 Sold to L. Tester, Faversham. 1987 Sold to M. Street, Gravesend. 199? Sold  to N E Murray,  Queenborough renamed  Julie Marie.
-----------------------------------------------------

PLATOON
 
See under Dhulia in ATCL lists.
-----------------------------------------------------

PLAUDIT
 
Photo Ben @ Liquid Highway.
 
 
Built 1951 by James Pollock Ltd., Faversham YN1942. L45'2". B12'6". D5'10". 20grt. 90bhp Crossley diesel engine. ON184432. Acquired 1951. Disposed 1990.
 
10-1951 Delivered to PLA. 1990 Sold to J. Martin Construction. 2001 Owners Edmund Nuttall Ltd.
---------------------------------------------------
 
PLAUSIBLE
 
Built 1968 by James W cook, Wivenhoe. L55'. B15'. D 8'. 38grt. 426bhp V8cyl Rolls Royce diesel engine. Acquired 1968. Disposed 1974.
 
1968 Delivered to PLA. 1974 Sold to British Waterways Board Ltd., London converted to push-tug, renamed Freight Mover. 2005 Laid up at Purton. 2007 Still in existence.
------------------------------------------------------
 
RAINHAM
 
Built 1907 by J & K Smit, Kinderdijk. YN589.  L65.7'. B14.7'. D7.4'. 44grt. 200ihp 2cyl 9.5"x20"x14"s 140psi compound steam engine by John Stewart, London. Acquired 1913. Disposed 1939. ON125658.
 
1907 Owners John Stewart London, named Helpful. 1907 Owner R. Hudson, Sunderland (manager H. Broadhurst, London). 1908 Owner J. Constant, London (Brokers). 1913 Sold to PLA, renamed Rainham. 1939 Sold to Dutch owners.
-------------------------------------------------------------

RATTLER
 
Built 1870 @ Northfleet, Kent. Iron screw tug. L65'. B12.6'. D6.6'. 35grt. 30hp steam engine. ON63576.
 
1872 Owners London and St. Katherines Dock Company, London. 19-8-1890 Sank following collision with SS Manora in Albert Dock. Later salved. 1891 owners London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 Owners renamed London and India Docks Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1916 For disposal.
 
-------------------------------------------
 
REALM
 
Built 1890 by Murray Brothers,  Dumbarton. Screw tug. L68.5'. B14.1'. D8'. 42.88grt. 280ihp Acquired 1909. Disposed 1946. Scrapped 1947? ON97635.
 
1890 Delivered to ???, named Cambria. 5-1896 Acquired by William Cory Ltd., London, renamed Realm. 23-3-1897 Capsized and sank whilst towing laden coal hulk Mark Lane from Tilbury Dock. Master, Engineer and Fireman lost. Mate picked up by boat from hulk. Enquiry found that tug was not of sufficient size or power for this tow. Later salved. 1899 Sold to London Grain Elevator Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1946 Owner R. A. Garrett.  1947 Believed scrapped.
 
-------------------------------------------------
 
 
SCOTT
 
Built 1901 by William Allsup and Sons, Preston. Twin screw tug. L90.84'. B21.2'. D11.5'. 152grt. 1000ihp. 2x2cyl compound steam engines by builder. ON114836. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1923.
 
1901 Delivered to London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 Owners renamed London and India Docks Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1923 Believed sold to owners in USA.
 
--------------------------------------
 
SHAREBOURNE
 
1915 Built by Philip and Son, Dartmouth. YN453. Screw tug. L48'. B12.1'. D6'. 26grt. 70ihp. 2cyl compound steam engine by builder. ON145107. Acquired 1919. Disposed 1948. Scrapped 1993?
 
1915 Delivered to War office as A12. 1916 Now AS12. 1919 Acquired by PLA, renamed Sharebourne. 1948 Owners Timber Services Ltd., London, renamed Marisa B. 1949 Owner John Brown, East Woodhay. 1952 Transferred to Hilda Brown, East Woodhay. 1993 Registration closed.
 
------------------------------------------------
 
SIRDAR
 
 
Built 1899 by R.H. Green Ltd, Blackwall. L90.3'. B21.1'. D11.6'. 143grt. 1000ihp. 2x 2cyl 19"x40"x24"s compound steam engines by T. A. Young and Son, Blackwall. Twin screw. Acquired 1908. Disposed 1950. Scrapped 1950. ON115907.
 
1899 Delivered to London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1908 Transferred to PLA on its formation. 24-4-1922 Sank off Tilbury following collision with SS Old North State. All crew rescued. Later salved and returned to service. 1-2-1950 Arrived at  T.W. Ward Ltd, Grays, for scrapping.
-------------------------------------------------

STAMFORD
 
Photo B Hunt colln.
 
Built 1915 by Lytham Shipbuilding and Eng. Co. Ltd., Lytham St. Annes. YN523. Twin screw tug. L68.6'. B15.8'. D7'. 56grt. 160ihp. 2x2cyl compound steam engines by builder. ON146152. Acquired 1919. Disposed 1951. Scrapped 1951.
 
1915 Delivered to War Office as A46. 1916 Now AS46. 1919 Acquired by PLA, renamed Stamford. 1951 Scrapped by T. W. Ward Ltd., Grays.
 
--------------------------------------
 
SWIFT
 
Built 1872 at Hull. Srew tug. L59.33'. B12'. D6.6'. 32grt. 14nhp. 1cyl steam engine. ON65680. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1916.
 
1872 Delivered to Humphrey and Pearson, Hull. 1872 owners London and St. Katherines Docks Company, London. 1891 Owners London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 Owners renamed London and India Dock Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1916 For disposal.
 
---------------------------------------
 
THORNEY
 
 Photo © Alan Richardson.
 
Photo Ray's colln.
 
Built 1943 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Thorne YN T384. Modified Maple Class standard tug. L94'. B21'4". D9'7". 138grt. 500ihp 3cylTE 149rpm coal fired engine by McKie and Baxter Ltd., Paisley. Prop 8'dia 8.33' pitch, 4 bladed + Kort nozzle. Coal cap 34 tons BP8.8 tons. Speed 11knots. Acquired 1947. Disposed 1968. Scrapped 1968. ON169091. Callsign MLSX.
 
19-6-1943 launched. 30-9-1943 Completed for MoWT, Named Empire Percy and handed over to managers Steele and Bennie Ltd., Glasgow. 1947 Sold to PLA. 29-1-1948 Renamed Thorney. 11-1959 Converted to oil firing. 1968 Scrapped by Scrappingco SA, Willebroek, Belgium.
--------------------------------------------------------------

VELOX
 
Photo Ben @ Liquid Highway.
 
Built 1949 by Richard Dunston Ltd., Thorne. L41.3'. B12.1'. D5.0'. 20grt. 120bhp Diesel engine. Acquired 1950. Disposed ????  ON183058.
 
1949 Delivered to Clements Knowling Ltd., London. 1950 Acquired by PLA.  19?? Sold to  London River Services, Charlton. 19?? Owners  London Docklands Museum. 19?? Owner Alan Jubb: 199? Owner  Alan Pratt, Rainham Kent. 2007 Sold to owners at Maldon.
------------------------------------------------------------

VICTORIA
 
Built 1876 by Samuda Brothers, Millwall. Paddle tug. L100.58'. B20.19'. D10.56'. 154grt. 80nhp. 2cyl compound steam engine by Stewart, London. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1911. ON77062.
 
1876 Delivered to London and St. Katherines Dock Co., London. 1891 Owners London and India Docks Joint Committee. 1902 Owners renamed London and India Docks Company. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1911 Belived sold to French interests for scrap.
 
-------------------------------------------
 
WALBROOK
 
Built 1910 by Ferguson Bros. Ltd., Pt. Glasgow. YN194. L86'. B22.6'. D10.8'. 168grt. 1000ihp. 2x 2cyl 19"x40"x24"s 125psi compound steam engines by builder. Acquired 1910. Disposed 1964. Scrapped 1964. ON129141.
 
1910 Delivered to PLA. 21-3-1960  Capsized and sank in Tilbury Dock assisting Dutch freighter Langkoeas. All crew rescued by Beam. Later salved and returned to service. 3-1964 Sold to Meeching Engineering, Newhaven. 7-1964 Resold to Lacmots Ltd.  Queenborough for scrapping.
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
WESTBOURNE
 
Photo Ray's Colln.
 
Built 1911 by Cammell Laird Ltd., Birkenhead. YN778. L96'. B24.1'. D10.6'. 185grt. 575ihp 3cylTE 14"x21.5"x35"x24"s 180psi steam engine by Vauxhall Engine Co., Luton.  Acquired 1911. Disposed 1967. Scrapped 1967. ON132656. Callsign MGND.
 
01-1912 Delivered to PLA. 1967 Scrapped by Jacques Bakker & Zonen, Brugge.
 
------------------------------------
 
WILDFIRE
 
Built 1878 at Preston. Screw Tug. L66.39'. B14.15'. D6.3'. 40grt. 30nhp. Steam engine. ON20122. Acquired 1909. Disposed 1925.
 
1878 Delivered to East and West India Dock Company Ltd., London. 1909 Transferred to PLA. 1925 Sold to Earles Shipbuilding and Eng Co. Ltd., Hull. No further trace.
 
---------------------------------
 
******************************************