Home            EARLY TUG NAMES A-D

EARLY TUG NAMES

A - D

 
Page last updated  8-7-2013
 
This section contains details of some of the earlier, larger tugs of the River Thames, that are not listed in the larger company sections of the site.

 

ADMIRAL 1843
 
Built 1843 by Daniel Bider, East Jarrow. Wood paddle tug. L73.3'. B16'. D8.7'. 76grt. 44nhp steam engine. ON54683.
 
1843 Delivered to unknown owner. 1848 owners Anthony and Robert Strong and Charles and Michael Dodds, North Shields. 1866 Sold to David Stone and John Varmer, London. 1870 Sold to Hugh Andrews Jnr, Belfast. 1872 Sold to J J Carroll, Dublin. No further trace. 
--------------------------------
 
ADMIRAL 1870
 
Built 1870 by T Hepple and Son, Low Walker. Iron paddle tug. L97.2'. B18'. D9.3'. 100grt. 10nrt. 50nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine by builder. ON63555.
 
1-1870 Delivered to Daniel Mitchell, Gravesend. 11-2-1872 Sank off Nore light following collision with SS Rajah whilst towing SS William  Davie.
--------------------------------
 
 
 
AGAMEMNON 1872

 Built 1872 by Readhead, Softley & Co, S. Shields. YN75. Iron Paddle Tug.  L106.3'. B18.4'. D10.0'. 129grt.     55nhp  2cyl 28"x48" side lever steam engine by builder. Official No 65673.  PoR 1872 London. 1875 Memel. 1885 London.


  1872 Delivered to  T. A. Banks et al, Gravesend. 12-1874 £201-9-3d awarded for assisting collision damaged brig Agnes. 1875 Owned at Memel. 1885 Sold to James Watkins, London. (Broker) 1885 Sold to Alexander Petrie, Stockton.  1891 Owner G.  Petrie, Middlesbro. 18-10-1895 Towing lighter laden with wheat Hull to Stockholm. 25-9-1900 Collision with SS Clydesdale in Middlesbrough Dock. 1904 Owner Hepple & Co., S. Shields. 1904 Owner  Anthony Irwing, Sunderland. 1907 Owner Susannah Irwing. 12-1910  Transferred to James Irwing. 8-1926 Transferred to Irwing Steam Tug Co., Sunderland. 1928 Scrapped.
------------------------------------------
 
 
AID 1855
 
Built 1855 by Money Wigram & Sons, Blackwall.  Wood paddle tug. L89.2'. B18'. D8.9'. 112grt. 50nhp 2cyl compound steam engine by  John Stewart, Blackwall. ON24691.
 
1855 Delivered to The Royal Harbour of Ramsgate Trust, London. 1865 Owners The Board of Trade, London. 1890 Sold to John W Spicer & others, Wapping, London. 1891 Sold to James T Morgan & others, London. 1899 Owners The Shipowners' Tug Co Ltd, London. 1900 Sold to Dutch owners.
----------------------------------
 
AID 1877
 
1877 Built by Millwall Docks & Engineering Works,  Millwall. Iron screw tug. L60.6’. B12.3’. D6.7’. 32grt. 250ihp 1cyl steam engine by builder. ON77018
 
1877 Delivered to Union Lighterage Co Ltd., London. 1892 Owner  Francis & Richard Lambert, London. 1896 Owner William Cory & Son Ltd., London. 1898 Owner Richard Waters, London. 1900 Owner Robert Forster,  Scotswood-on-Tyne. 1920 Owner Northumberland Shipbuilding Co Ltd.,  Howden.  1927 Owner  Robert Sword, Newcastle. 1932 Scrapped
 
---------------------------------------------------.
 
AJAX 1855
 
Built 1855  Garmouth, Scotland [Garmh??] Wood paddle tug, oak, fir, locust. Iron bolted. L94.8’. B21.1’. D11.5’. 175grt. ON12788 Callsign LDHN
 
1855 - 1865 Registered to  Shipowners Towing Co, London. Master J Brander.
 
-------------------------------------------
 
ALARM 1859
 
Photographer unknown.
 
Built 1859 at  North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L83.3'. B18'. D9.5'. 81grt. 11nrt. 50nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine. ON28062.
 
1859 Delivered to Henry Hindmarsh, London. 1866 Owner J D Hindmarsh, London. 1870 Owner Charles Wade, London. 1873 Owner William Allen, London. 1882 Owner Paul Bonta, Gravesend. 1886 Scrapped.
--------------------
 
 
 
 
 ALEXANDRA 1876
 
Photo A Hughes colln
 
Built 1876 by Softley Bros., North Shields. Iron paddle tug. L97.9'. B18.4'. D9.2'. 112grt. 40nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine by Hepple and Co, South Shields. ON73655.
 
1876 Owners William Hepple, South Shields. 1876 Sold to unknown owner at London. 1879 Sold to Thomas Hick, London. 1879 Sold to Scarborough Harbour Commissioners. 1907 Sold to William MacDonarld, Arbroath. 31-12-1907 Lost off Arboroath.
---------------------------------
 
 
ALICE

Wood Paddle Tug.  170grt.    60nhp.
 
 Operating Thames 1839
--------------------------------------
 
ALICE 1846
 
Built 1846 by William Cooper, N Shields. Wood paddle tug. 61grt 20nrt. 71.5' x 14.0 'x 8.5ft'. 30nhp 1cyl lever steam engine, ON13630.
 
11-6-1846 Delivered to Robert Mitchell, N Shields. 1848 Owners  Daniel, John & Robert Mitchell, N Shields. 1857 Sold to George Brownfield, Gravesend. 1860 Sold to Jonathan Elkin et al, London. 1862 Sold to Daniel Barker, Horsleydown, London. 11-8-1869 Boiler exploded off custom house, London. Three lives lost. 1869 Sold to J I & G I Spicer, London. 1870 Owner John Ibbetson Spicer, London. 1878 Scrapped.
-----------------------------
 
AMAZON 1846
 
Built 1846 at Newcastle. Wood paddle tug. L84.5'. B16.7'. D9.7'. 95grt. 60nhp steam engine. ON4375.
 
1846 Delivered to W B Caulfield, London. 1851 Sold to W P Miles, London. 1852 Sold to LLoyds Steam Towing Company, London. 1854 Sold to W B Caulfield, London. 1855 Sold to J T Corpe, London. No further trace.
---------------------------------
 
 
 
ATHLETE 1893

 Built 1893 by J. Stewart & Son Ltd.,  Blackwall. Steel screw tug. L92.5'. B19.6'. D10.5'. 119grt. 2nrt. 500ihp 3cyl TE  13"x21"x34"x24"s steam engine by builder. ON101992. Callsign HPCS later GIAA.

4-1893 Delivered to Matthew Brownfield, Poplar. 23-12-1901 Towed collision damaged Danish barque Claudia, only kept afloat by cargo of timber, from off Dover to London. 29-12-1906 Assisted in refloating Belfast steamer Ormley, aground in St. Margarets Bay, after 1000 tons of wheat cargo had been transferred to lighters. 1908 Owner Miss E. Brownfield, London. 10-6-1909 Sold to The Robinson Tug Co Ltd.,  Middlesbrough.  191? Req for  Admiralty service. 191? Returned to owners. 30-7-1920 Owners Tees Towing Co Ltd., Middlesbrough. 17-3-1929 Towed S.S. Troutwood with defective engine into River Tees. 1947 Sold to J.H. Lamey Ltd.,  Liverpool. 1955 Scrapped by Thomas W. Ward Ltd., Preston
--------------------------------------------
 
BEN ACHIE
 
See Malta [2]: William Watkins lists.
-----------------------------------
 
BEN LEDI 1878
 
 Built  1878 by  Hall, Russell Co., Aberdeen. Iron Paddle Tug.  L90'. B18.6'. D10.2'.   114grt.   50nhp  2cyl 25"x48" side lever steam engine by  builder.   ON 79641.  PoR 1878 London. 1883 Aberdeen. 1891 Ayr. 1897 Newcastle.
 
1878 Delivered to  J. F. Gibb, Ratcliff, London. 6-9-1879 Towed SV St. Vincent, on fire, to Gravesend from off Southend. 2-2-1881 Shared in £700 salvage award to tugs for towing barque Mary Stewart off Shingles Sands. 1882 Sold to J. N. Newton, Aberdeen. 1886 Sold to Robert Lumley Cook, Sunderland. 4-1891 Sold to  Ayr Harbour Trustees (£1700). 5-1897 Sold to Robt. Readhead and Son, Tyneside. 5-1903 Transferred to M. H. Readhead and Susannah White. 1914 Hired by Royal Navy. 9-1915  Returned to Owner. 6-1916 Transferred to Robt Readhead & Son Ltd. 8-1929Transferred to  Readhead &  Dry's Tugs Ltd. 1935 Scrapped.
------------------------------------
 
BEN LOMOND
 
See Burmah: William Watkins lists.
-------------------------------
 
BEN MORE


Photo K Haydon colln. Photographer unknown.
 
 
Built 1855 at Rotherhithe. Wood paddle tug. L75.9'. B17'. D8.7'. 82grt. 22nrt. 40nhp. 2culSL steam engine. ON23363
 
1855 Delivered to J. Drysdale, C M Lughrue and E Lawson, London named Robert Burns. 1860-1885 various owner changes. 1876 Owner J F Gibb, London, renamed Ben More. 17-2-1886 Offered for sale by Auction, London. 1886 Scrapped.
-------------------------------------------------- 
 
BEN NEVIS
 
See Iona: William Watkins lists.
-----------------------------
 
BISHOP 1853
 
Built 1853 by T & W Smith, North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L69'. B14'. D8.6'. 65grt. 30nhp steam engine. ON20326.
 
1853 Delivered to Corporation of Trinity House, London. 1870 Sold to G Bateman, London. 1871 Sold to D Cantellon, London. 1873 Owner D Cantellon, Cork. 1886 Register closed, probably scrapped.
------------------------------------ 
 
BLACK EAGLE 1848
 
  
Built 1848  by Thomas & William Smith, N. Shields. Wood paddle tug. L90'. B16.9'. D10'. 108grt. 57nrt. 36nhp  grasshoppertype steam engine by H S Waite, North Shields. ON27204
 
 27-12-1848 Registered at London for Thames Steam Towing Company, London.  8-1-1850 Assitance to schooner aground on Goodwin Sands. 1859 Sold to Thomas Elliott, Cardiff.  22-2-1859 Suffered boiler explosion at Cardiff. 1861 Reengined 2cyl 80nhp. 186? Sold to Mary Gibbs Elliott. 1871 Sold to Thomas Elliott.  1882[by] Owner Thomas A Jolliffe, Liverpool. 1887 Scrapped.
--------------------------------------
 
BLUE JACKET 1860
 
Built 1860 by Hepple and Landells, North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L85.7'. B17.4'. D9'. 76grt. 40nhp Lever steam engine by builders. ON28571.
 
1860 Delivered to James Monat, North Shields. 1866 Sold to William Best et al, South Shields. 1873 Sold to William Hockley, Frederick White and James Gill, Poplar, London. 1882 Sold to James Dodds, North Shields. 1883 Sold to Andrew Patterson, Burntisland. 1887 Condemned and scrapped.
-----------------------------------
 
 
BRITANNIA 1852
 
Built 1852 by Hepple and Landells, North Shields. Wood paddle tug, L74.7'. B15.1'. D8.8'. 71grt. 33nhp steam engine. ON14432.
 
1852 Delivered to Edward Pearson, North Shields. 1862 Owner Richard Young, Wisbech. 1870 Owner James Hunter, Gravesend. 1872 Owner George H Ross, London. No further trace.
------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
BULLDOG 1857
 
Built 1857 at North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L75.3'. B15.4'. D8.6'. 54grt. 28nhp. 1cyl lever steam engine.  ON 19872

1857 Delivered to Joseph Hall, Tynemouth.  1858 Owners Henry Hindmarsh, Charles Wade, William Jordan & John Sinclair, London. 1859 Owners Henry Hindmarsh, Charles Wade, William Jordan & James Sinclair. 21-4-1863 Owners appeared in court along with skipper Thomas Bishop accused of transporting passengers from North Woolwich to attend an illegal prize fight at Erith, without a passenger licence. The case was proved. Owners fined £5, skipper £1. 1865 Owner Charles Wade et al, London. 1870 Owner James Joines, London. 1871 scrapped.
---------------------------------- 
 
 
BULLDOG 1884
 
 Built 1884 by London Dry Dock Co Ltd., Deptford.  Iron screw tug.  L77.0'. B16.5'. D9.3'.  72 GRT, 3 NRT  40nhp 2cyl 15”x29”x20”s compound steam engine by Windus & Dunsmore, Millwall  ON 89630
 
6-1884 Delivered to London Steam Tug Co Ltd, London. 29-11-1890 Towed SS Berwick with broken shaft into Gravesend. 1900 Owner Arthur W. Smith, Limehouse. 1900 owner John G. Hammond, London. 1901 Owners Boston Steam Tug Co., Boston 5-1912 J. Batey & Son Ltd., Newcastle 6-1920  Transferred to Lawson-Batey Tugs Ltd., Newcastle 9-1925 Sold to Allen Brown Ltd., Newcastle £825  7-1934 Owners Risdon Beazley Marine Trading Co Ltd., Southampton 4-12-1934  Broken up at Southampton.
---------------------------------------------
 
BULLDOG 1891

Built 1891 by A. Smit, Rotterdam. Screw tug. L61.8'. B14.5'. D7.3'. 46grt. 150ihp 2cyl compound steam engine by builder.
ON125619
 
1891 Delivered to Dutch owners. 1907 Owner Joseph J Beckett, London, named Bulldog. 1908 Fitted with new boilers. 1909 Sold to Carribbean Marine Salvage Co., Havana Cuba. 10-1909 Departed London for Havana. 1-1910 Sank in Atlantic. 
---------------------------------------------
 
CALEDONIA 1838
 
Built  1838 by Stephen Wood, Gateshead. Wood Paddle tug.  L84.2’. B18.8’. D9.2’. 96grt 40nhp Grasshopper type steam engine by W Hawks, Gateshead. ON23249.
 
1838 Delivered to J Drysdale, T Petley, A Harrower, E Lawson & others, London. 1840 Sold.  1844 Owner Caledonian Steam Towing Co, London. 1853 Owner  Daniel Barker, Horsleydown, London. 7-1861 Engineer Thomas Crisp died after being crushed in engine off Harty Ferry. 1867 scrapped
-----------------------------------------

 
CALEDONIA 1854

 Built  1854 by R & H Green,  Blackwall. YN307. Wood Paddle Tug.  L102'. B16.4'.  124grt. 70nhp.

            1854 Delivered to  Caledonian Steam Towing Co., London.
------------------------------------------------------
 
CHALLENGE 1856
 
Built 1856 by John Thompson, Rotherhithe. Wooden paddle tug. L84.6'. B16.6'. D8.9'. 78grt. 25nrt. 181ihp 2cyl side lever steam engine by John Stewart, Blackwall. ON11396
 
8-1856 Delivered to John Deane, Gravesend. 3-3-1860 Assistance to brig Lucia in Princes Channel. 1865 Sold to David Spence, Melbourne. Delivered under sail.  1874 Owner John Dalton, Newcastle NSW. 30-4-1876 Sunk after colliding with New England off Bradley's Head, Sydney.  Salved. 2-1891 Converted to barge. 9-5-1917 Register closed.
--------------------------------------------- 
 
CHAMPION 1865
 
Built 1865 at  Northfleet.  Paddle tug.  L99.3'. B18.3'. D9.9'. 119grt. 56nrt. 50nhp  2cyl side lever steam engine. ON52821
 
1865 Owner Andrew Redgrave, London. 1865 Owner  W B Greenfield, London. 1889 Sold to Egyptian Government.
---------------------------------------------
 
CHARLES DICKENS 1872
 
Built 1872 by Readhead, Softley & Co., Newcastle. Iron Paddle Tug. L103.2'. B18.3'. D10.1'. 121grt. 55nhp 2cyl 28"x48" side lever steam engine by Builder. ON 65662
 
1872 Delivered to J. Martin., London. 10-2-1879 Towed SS Alice, with engine defect, from Downs into Ramsgate. 1879 Owner  A. Tolhurst, Gravesend. 5-1880 Owners Tees Conservancy Commissioners. 12-1903 Sold to Florence Tugboat and Salvage Co., Middlesbrough. 1904 Owners Linthorpe Dinsdale Smelting Co., Middlesbrough. 10-1905 Sold to F. Batey, J. Batey & R. Armstrong, Newcastle. 6-1906 Transferred to J. Batey & Son Ltd. 5-1915 Scrapped on Tyneside. 
--------------------------------------------
 
CHARLEY 1862
 
Built 1862 by H Price, Neath Abbey, Glam. Iron paddle tug. L87.8'. B17.6'. D9.6'. 114grt. 60hp 2x2cyl 28"x48" lever steam engines by W H Price, Swansea. ON29599.
 
1862 Completed for Henry Price, Neath Abbey, Glam. 1871 Owner Wm. H. Jeffreys, Briton Ferry. 1873 Sold to G. Butchard, Gravesend. 1882 Sold to E. P. Peek, Hull, renamed Defiance. 28-2-1883 Sold to Thos. Wilson Sons and Co., Hull. 10-9-1895 Sold to W & T W Pinkney, Sunderland. 1904 Sold to J, Taylor, Sunderland and scrapped.
----------------------------------
 
 
CHARM 1855
 
Built 1855 at Isle of Dogs. Wood paddle tug. L84.9'. B16.6'. D8.8'. 93grt. 50nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine. ON13687.
 
1855? Delivered to Richard Ross, London. 18-8-1855 Towed collision damaged brig Fenix from Gull stream to Ramsgate. 26-12-1855 Assisted S/V Cyclone, damaged in river, into London Docks. 1868[by] Owner William Roxberry, Gravesend.  8-1871 Sold to Andrew Errington & Henry Booker, Hull (reg Hull). 1876[by] Owner  Henry Booker, Hull & others 1886[c] Owner Francis Durbridge, Hull & others. 1891 Sold to John R Thompson, S Shields 1895 Scrapped.
-----------------------------------------
 
CITY OF LONDON 1863
 
Photo courtesy Kevin Haydon.
 
Built 1863 by James Ash,  Poplar. Iron paddle tug. 143grt. 66nrt. L114.5'. B19.1'. D10.2'. 140hp two cylinder side lever steam engine by J Stewart, Poplar. ON47359. C/s VNHF.
 
1863 Delivered to Charles C Nelson, Botolph Lane, London. 22-1-1873 Rescued survivors from emigrant sailing ship Northfleet, run down and sunk off Dungeness.
320 Lives were lost and tug Captain Samuel Kingston was later awarded a diamond ring for his part in the rescue. 1875 Sold to George Blyth, Belgrave St, Commercial Rd., London E. 1879 Rescued survivors from Barque Corinna, run down and sunk off Dungeness. 1880[by] Owner G. Blythe, Woodford, Essex. 1881 Owner Elizabeth Blyth, Woodford. 1882 Sold to Alexander Petrie, Stockton-on-Tees. 1883 Sold to Robert, William, Nicholson and Henry Strong, Water St, Liverpool.
1892 Owners Nicholas, Henry and Margaret Strong and Mary A Prowse, trading as The Strong Steam Tug Co., Water St., Liverpool. 1893 Owner The Strong Steam Tug Co., Ltd., Liverpool. 8-1903 Scrapped by Joseph J King and Sons Ltd. Register closed.
 
The emigrant ship NORTHFLEET. Photo by Gould/K Haydon colln.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------

CLEVELAND 1894
 
 Photog unknown
 
Built 1894 by Montrose Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd.,  Montrose. YN 28. iron screw tug. L93.5’. B18.4’. D10.1’. 116grt. 39nrt. 400ihp 2cyl compound steam engine. ON 104824

11-1894 Delivered to J. Mitchell & Sons,  London. 7-1-1895 Towed collision damaged barque Primera from Folkestone to Holehaven. 31-3-1899 Towed SS Corbright, which had lost prop, from Downs to Gravesend for agreed £55. 1903 Sold to J. Turner, Hull. 1904 Owners SA de Remorquage La Navale,  Dunkerque,  renamed Naval. 1905 Owners Soc. Dunkerquoise de Remorquage et de Sauvetage,  Dunkerque,  renamed Pas De Calais. 1907 Owners Corpo dei Piloti, Naples  renamed A. Witting. 1915 Requisitioned by  Italian Navy 1919 Owners A. Longobardi & Co., Naples. 1920 Owners Corpo Piloti Pratici, Naples. 1926 Owners RN - Societa Rimorchiatori Napoletani, Naples. 1936 Re-engined  to 3cyl TE  steam engine by Crabtree.  1966 Scrapped.  
-------------------------------------

COCK OF THE NORTH 1853

 Built   1852 by John Duncan, Morayshire, Scotland.  Wood Paddle Tug.  L93.7' B19.1' D7.2’.  136grt. 120nhp 2cyl 38"x43"s side lever steam engine. ON4373. Callsign JCGN.
 
9-1853 Delivered to  Ship Owners Towing Co. London. 1857 Company ceased trading. 11-1858 Sold to John Pile & co, Hartlepool for £600. 1859:Sold to John Fleming.  1860 Sold to M.J.Wilson.  1861 Sold to W.W.Bruce  17-11-1864 Lying Birkenhead for sale by auction. 1865 Sold to  William & Thomas Jolliffe,  Liverpool.  1866 Renamed Empress.  1886 Sold to Robert Smith,  Birkenhead and scrapped.
----------------------------------------------------
 
COLCHESTER 1840
 
Built 1840 at North Shields. Wood padle tug. L91.2'. B16.9'. D9.8'. 119grt. 60nhp steam engine. ON16899.
 
1840 Delivered to unknown owner at London. 26-10-1848 Sold to Edward Forster et al, Liverpool. 1858 Owner Edward Forster, Liverpool. No further trace.
----------------------------------
 
 
 
COMMODORE 1840
 
Built 1840 @ Newcastle. Wood paddle tug. L90'. B17.8'.  D10.2'. 111grt. 80hp. ON4375 Callsign JCGQ.
 
1840 Delivered to unknown London owner. 4-1-1842 Refloated brig Minerver from Reculver sand and towed to London. 1851 Owners Symington Towing Company, London.  1856 Owners Shipowners Towing Co, London. 1858 Company in liquidation. 1871 Owner J. Masson, London. 1882 Still owned.
 
------------------------------------
 
CONDOR 1884

Built 1884 by S. & H. Morton & Co. Leith. YN 45. Screw tug. L90.7'. B19.1'. D11.2'. 125grt. 450ihp 2cyl 20.5"x40"x24"s compound steam engine by A. Shanks & Son, Arbroath. ON89672. Callsign JTRK.
 
1884 Delivered to Todd & Son, Northumberland Ave., Fenchurch St, London. 1887 Owner Todd & Co., London.  1890 Sold to Prairie Screw Towing Co. [J.H. Dunn & T.L. Handford], Newport, renamed Prairie King.  1896 Sold to Liverpool Screw Towing and Lighterage Co Ltd.,  Liverpool, renamed Prairie Cock.  1936 Scrapped at New Ferry.
-------------------------------------------
 
CONDUCTOR 1880
 
 
Built 1880 by Joseph T Eltingham, Souith Shields. Iron paddle tug. L117.6'. B19.6'. D10.3'. 165grt. 10nrt. 62nhp 2cyl sidelever steam engine by J P Rennoldson and Sons, South Shields. ON81606
 
1880 Delivered to John Mitchell, Gravesend. 1881 Stationed at Lisbon. 1886 Captain Antonio Jose de Souza awarded binoculars by board of Trade for his kindness to crew of SS Cornishman  wrecked on 8th of January 1886. 1892 Sold to SunshineSteam Tug Company, Liverpool. 29-12-1899 Beached at Wallasey following collision. 2-1-1900 Refloated and repaired at Clover's Dry Dock, Birkenhead. 1914 Sold to J J King and Sons, Garston. 1914 Sold to W Cooper, Widnes. 1923 Converted to barge. 1929 Scrapped.
---------------------------------- 

CONQUEROR 1863

 Built  1863 by  Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow. YN53. Iron Paddle Tug.  L111.5'. B18.6'. D9.6’. 118grt. 37nrt.  65hp 1cyl 40”x56”s side lever steam engine by builder. ON45954.

  6-1-1863 Launched for Clyde Shipping Co Ltd., Glasgow. 26-3- 1863 Completed. 23-3-1864 Owner Chas. R. Heap, London. 1864 Owner  Earnest  Hankey, London. 29-4-1867 Sold to  A. Gabrielli, London. 1867 Sold to Frederick Galla, Naples. 
------------------------------------------------

CONQUEROR 1884

 Built   1884 by   Hepple, N. Shields. YN386.  Iron Paddle Tug.  L123.5'. B20.1'. D10.1'.   177grt. 16nrt.  140nhp. 2cyl 32"x58"  side lever steam engine by builder.  Two funnels. Official No.   89619.
 
1884 Delivered to  Wm. Sandford, Gravesend. 6-8-1884 Fire in engine room locker off gravesend. 21-12-1887 Towed barque Salmon, with damaged masts, Dungeness to Gravesend. 6-11-1888 Towed barque Johann Wilhelm from Swin Middle Sand to Gravesend. 10-1-1889 Towed barque Linda fromm off Dungeness to London. c1890 Sold to Soc. Anon. du Remorquage Boulonnais. Renamed Conquerant. 1897 Sold to  Soc. Nouvelle de Remorquage Boulonnais, Boulogne. 1904 Sold to Mrs R Lennard, Middlesbro,  renamed Conqueror. 1905 Sold to B. O. Davies, Middlesbro. c1910 Sold to J Nicholson, Leith. 1913 Sold to Victor Cappon, Dundee.   3-1917 Owners  R. Redhead and Sons, Newcastle. 8-1929 Transferred to Redhead & Dry's Tugs, Newcastle. 5-1944Transferred to  France Fenwick Tyne  & Wear Co., Newcastle. 5-1952 Scrapped by J. J. King & Co., Gateshead. (£2,150)
-------------------------------------------
 
CONQUEROR 1897
 
Photo K Haydon colln
 

Built 1897 by Eltringham, South Shields. YN188. Iron Paddle Tug/Excursion steamer . L131'. B21.7'. D10'. 224grt. 650ehp. SL2Cyl 31"x58" by Hepple. Official No 108177. Call sign PNSG. Two Funnels. Used as seasonal excursion steamer.
 
1897 Delivered to Thos. Sandford et al, Gravesend. 21-8-1898 Awarded £40 for towing GSN's SS Swallow, with broken piston rod, from Tongue LV to Ramsgate. 26-10-1898 Assisted refloat barque Unione from South Goodwin Sands and towed to Downs.1-1-1899 Assisted refloat S/V Glevard from sands off Dungeness. 13-1-1899 towed collision damaged SS Elaine from off Dungeness into Dover. 29-12-1899 Towed collision damaged barque Anny, with part cargo of dynamite, from off Deal to Gravesend powder buoys. 5-10-1900 Towed damaged schooner Alice Louisa from Cork Sand into Harwich. 11-1901 Tug fully disinfected at Gravesend after one of Crew contracted smallpox whilst vessel lying in Newhaven. Around same time over 85000 rats were destroyed in London Docks in one month. 1-1902 Owners  John Page & G & W Sandford, Gravesend. 1903 Sold to Elliott Steam Tug Co, London. 1914 Req by Admiralty for short period. 14-12-1915  Assisted refloating SS Southgarth, aground on Trapegeer sand, off La Panne, whilst under attack from German bombers. later awarded £1150 including £250 for damage sustained. 9-11-1916 Req by Admiralty renamed HMS Query serving at Dunkirk. 18-2-1919 Returned to owners, renamed Conqueror. 8-1919 Sold to Jersey Steam Shipping Co, St. Helier. 1921 Operated on Firth of Forth. 6-1922 Sold to Edward McNab, Kirkcaldy. 1922 Owner  Kirk Deas & Co, Leith. 10-1923 Sold to William Taylor, Dunblane. 5-1924 Sold to  Stanley Butler Steamship Co., Korkcaldy. 1925 Owner John Fenton, Edinburgh. 28-4-1925 Owners Tees Towing Co., Middlesbro., renamed  Hurworth. 30-8-1927 Renamed Hutton Cross. 8-1934 Scrapped by Clayton & Davie Ltd, Dunston.
---------------------------------------------
 
 

CONQUEROR 1899

Built  1899 by  Willoughby Bros Ltd,, Plymouth. L86.4’. B18.1’. D10.5’. 111grt. 6nrt. 360ihp 2cyl 17"x34"x21"s compound steam engine by builder. ON110155.

1899 Delivered to George Etheredge, 17 Broad St., Ratcliff, London.  1901  Owner Joseph Constant, London. 1904 Owner G. Etheredge, 84 Narrow St, London. 3-1910 Sold to Portugese owners.
-----------------------------------------------
 
CONTRACTOR 1851

Built  1851 by Andrew Woodhouse, S Shields. Wood paddle tug. 74grt 29nrt L74.0'. B15.1'. D 8.7'. 1Cyl side lever steam engine.
 
1851 Delivered to John & Francis Taylor, Burton Brown, John Elliott, John Wilkinson & Michael Renwick, Sunderland. 1854 Sold to William Thomas, Frederick White, James Gill, William Hockley & George Williams, London. 1864 Scrapped.
-------------------------------------
 
 
COPELAND 1836

Built 1836 at Blackwall. Wooden Paddle tug. L102’. B21'. D10'. 141grt. 90hp Disconnecting beam engine by Stewart, London. Tubular boiler. Bunkers 25 tons. Speed 10 knots. ON9078. Callsign KFTD.
 
  1837 Owners The Symington Patent Paddle Towing Co, London.  1839 Owners  restyled to The Shipowners' Towing Co Ltd., London.   29-11-1839 £100 award for towing S/v Trusty off Blythe Sand. 24-4-1842 Refloated troopship Beulah, aground in East Bay, Dungeness. £500 salvage award.  1857 Company ceased trading. 1876 Owner R. Connon, Shields.
------------------------------

CORONA 1904

 Built 1904 by  J Kievits & Reede, Papendrecht  Steel screw tug. 90.0 x 20.0 x 7.6ft 126grt 54nrt  40nhp  2cyl 11"x22"x12"s Compound steam engine by builder. ON 118405
 
1904 Delivered to J Constant, London.  1908 Owner W Horton, London. 1909 Sold to J Constant, London. 1910 Sold to Glynn Bros, Kilrush. 1920 0wners Shannon Steamship Co. Ltd., Kilrush. 1941 Still in existence, same owners. 1943 Not appearing in register.
---------------------------------

COUNTESS OF LONSDALE 1850
 
------------------------------
 
 
 
CRUISER 1874
 
 Built 1874 by John Softley & Co., South-Shields.  Iron  Paddle Tug. L96.3'. B18.2'. D9.2'. 98 GRT, 10 NRT,  46nhp-300ihp, 2cyl side lever steam engine by Hepple & Co, Official No.  68532.
 
1874 Delivered to Daniel Stuart Mitchell & others at Gravesend. 1881 census in Dover harbour. 1887 Sold to  Joseph Lawson et al.  Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 1895 Lawson Steam Tug-boat Co Ltd.,  Newcastle-upon-Tyne. 1917 Admiralty service on the River Tyne. 1919 Returned to owner. 1920 Owner Lawson-Batey Tugs Ltd., Newcastle. 1945 Chartered to Blyth Tug Co Ltd. Blyth. 11-1948 Scrapped [£275] by J. J. King, Gateshead.
------------------------------------------
 
DARING 1876

 Built   1876 by J. Readhead & Co., S. Shields YN123.   Iron Paddle Tug. L106.9'. B16.9'. D8.9'. 135grt.   70nhp.  2cyl compound steam engine 28"x51" by Builder.   Official No. 73715.   
                 
 1876 Delivered to W. Sandford, Gravesend. 29-1-1878 Towed SS Joseph Dodd off Long Sand. 14-2-1878 Whilst at anchor off Dover run down by  cross channel packet SS Parlement Belge in Dover Bay, sustaining £3500 of damage. Fireman Thomas Wingfield badly scalded. Towed into Dover by tug Warrior. 15-12-1880 Rescued crew of barque Frigate Bird, aground on Goodwin Sands and landed them at Dover. 2-2-1886 Towed disabled SV Island Maid into Ramsgate. 1887 Sold to Robt. Redhead and Son, Tyneside. 5-1903 Transferred to  M. H. Redhead & Susannah White. 6-1916 Transferred to  Robt. Redhead &  Son Ltd. 19-12-1916 Foundered off St. Mary's Island, Northumberland. Crew saved.
---------------------

DAUNTLESS 1884
 
Built 1884 by Watson and Co., London. Steel screw tug. L56'. B13'. D7.2'. 30hp 2cyl 12"x22"x18"s steam engine by De Ritter, London. ON89659.
 
1888 Owners Ross and Deering, London.
----------------------------------
 
DAUNTLESS 1903
 
Photog unknown

Built 1903 by Willoughby Bros, Plymouth. L86.4’ B18.0’. D10.5’. 109grt 3nrt. 90nhp 300ihp 2cyl 17"x34"x21"s 120psi compound steam engine by builder. ON 118328.

1903 Delivered to George Etheredge, London. 1909 Owner William H Tucker, Cardiff. 1911 Owner W H Tucker & Co Ltd, Cardiff.
1920 Owner The Bristol Channel Towage, Salvage & Lighterage Co Ld, Cardiff. 1938 Owner Bristol Channel Towage Co Ltd, Cardiff. 1939 Scrapped.
---------------------------

DESPATCH 1898
 

Built 1898 by Willoughby Bros, Plymouth. L66.0’. B14.1’. D7.0’. 43grt 30nhp 200ihp 2cyl compound steam engine by builder. ON108356.
 
1898 Delivered to Charles Robottom, Leytonstone, London. 1902 Owner Herbert C Robottom, London. 1909 Owner Henry Deering, London. 22-5-1918 Req by War Office for Inland Water Transport service in Egypt. 25-8-1919 Foundered off Alexandria.
------------------------------

 DOLPHIN 1837
 
Built 1837 at Douth Shields. Wood paddle tug. L68.3'. B14.5'. D8.2'. 61grt. 30nhp steam engine by H S Waite, North Shields. ON21572.
 
1837 Delivered to unknown owner at Exeter. 1840  Reboilerd by Harvey and Co., Hayle, 11-11-1842 Offered for sale by auction at Globe Inn, Exeter. 1-2-1848 Owner James Colling, London. 14-1-1850 Owner W B Caulfield, t/as Lloyds Steam Towing Company, London. 1860 Owner R D Ross, London.  15/16/17-6-1861 Salvaging schooner Doris aground on Southend Sands. 1866  Owner W T Bridges et al, London. 1867 Owner C H Ross, London. No further trace.
---------------------------------------- 
 
DOMINION 1903

Built 1903 by J P Rennoldson, S. Shields. YN 222. Screw tug.  L100'. B22.2'. D11.0'. 152grt.  550ihp. 3cylTE 14.5"x23"x38"x27"s steam engine by builder. ON115987.  

11-2-1903 Launched. 1903 Delivered to Mason, Liley & Hunt [Empire Towing] Gravesend. 1908 Sold to  Cia. Argentina de Nav/Gardella Ltd., Buenos Aires. 1949 Owners Flota Argentine de Navigacion de Ultramar.  1959 Owners Flota Argentina de Navigacion, Fluvial.
---------------------------------------
 
DOUGAL 1847
 
Built 1847 by Richard & Henry Green, Blackwall. YN276. Paddle tug. 76grt. 37nrt. L76.3'. B14.1'. D9.4'. 60nhp steam engine. ON6169.
 
24-2-1848. Delivered to The Caledonian Steam Towing Co, Shadwell 1870 Scrapped.
--------------------------------------------
 
DOURO 1850
 
Built 1850 @ N. Shields. Wood paddle tug. L95'. B18.7'. D9.8'. 102grt. 40nrt. 56hp. steam engine. ON16720. Callsign MCQP.
 
 22-4-1850 Delivered to Dover Harbour Trustees. 16-11-1853 Involved in grappling for severed London - Paris telegraph cable off Sandette. 1858 Owners Warden and Assistants of Dover Harbour. 9-11-1861 Towed schooner Little Nell into Dover from Goodwins. 1863 Owners Dover Harbour Board. 1864 Sold to Daniel Barker et al, London. 1869 Sold to  J. Spicer et al, Old Ford, London. 1881 Owner G. J. Spicer, West Hill, Gravesend. 29-11-1881 Rescued crew of fishing smack Champion aground on Red Sand and landed them at Margate. 9-12-1884 Towed barque Deodar, damaged in collision off N. Foreland into Sheerness. 18-10-1887 Sank following collision with fish carrier African off Rotherhithe.
----------------------------------
 
DRAGON 1837
 
Built 1837 by Ritchie. Wood paddle tug.
 
24-5-1837 Launched. 1837 Delivered to Symington Patent Paddle Towing Co, London. 1839 May have been transferred to Shipowmers Towing Co., London. No further trace.
 
 
 
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
NEXT PAGE