Home            EARLY TUG NAMES L-P

EARLY TUG NAMES

L - P

Page last updated 3-9-2013
 
LASS O'GOWRIE 1845
 
Built 1845 by Daniel Bider, East Jarrow. Wood paddle tug. L71.2'. B15.1'. D8.6'. 67grt. 40nhp Grasshopper steam engine by J P Almond, North Shields. ON4307.
 
1845 Delivered to Thomas Petley et al t/as United Steam Towing Company, London. 1863 Sold to Thomas and William Jolliffe, Liverpool. 1866 Sold to Henry William et al, Milford. 26-10-1881 Sank off Marloes Sands, Pembrokeshire. Crew rescured.
------------------------------------------------ 
 
LASS O’ GOWRIE 1855
 
Built 1855 at North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L75’. B16.1’. D8.1’. 54grt. 12nrt. 26nhp 1cyl steam engine. ON10181.
 
1855 Delivered to unknown owner. 1858 Owners  Matthew Brownfield et al, Gravesend. 1-1861 Owner Robert Bromley et al, Goole. 22-8-1864  Registration cancelled as employed in inland navigation. 1866 Owner  Wilkinson Shearsmith, Hull. 1870 Owner Charles Henry Wilson, Hull. 1881 [by] Owner Henry Burton, Hull. 1887 Scrapped.
-------------------------------------------
 
LIGHTNING
 
As Clarence. Photo RGR colln/photog unknown.
 
Built 1866 by T Hepple and Son, Low Walker. iron paddle tug. L97.3 '. B18.4'. D 9.3'. 102grt 33nrt . 60nhp grasshopper 2cyl 27"x46" steam engine by Hepple. ON 54610.
 
1866 Delivered to James Letten et al, London.  1872 Sold to Wm Sandford,  Gravesend. 2-1-1873 Isabelita off Goodwin Sands and into Ramsgate. 1875 Sold to Thomas Elliott & others, Gravesend. 1878 Sold to Chales Bishop, Cowes . 1883 Owner R White, London. 1883 Owner T P White, London. 1884 Owners Robert & Thomas White, London renamed Clarence. 1891 Owners John Batey & others, Newcastle.  3-1894 Lost whilst on passage to Aberdeen. Grounded in force 11 gale at foot of Huntcliff, Saltburn. Posn 54-35.4N 00-55.8W. Two crew lost.
-------------------------------------------------
 
LION 1844

 Built 1844 by Richard Bulmer, S. Shields. Wood paddle tug. L69.5'. B14.9'. D8.2'. 57grt. 12nrt. 35nhp Steam engine. ON9166.
 
 1844 Delivered to William & Thomas Jolliffe and James Johnson, N. Shields. 1846 Sold to Admiralty.  1854 Sold to John, Alexander & Wiliam Mace, London.   1859 Sold to J Jones and company, London. 2-1870 Scrapped
-----------------------------------
 
 
 
LION 1859

 Built 1859 at S. Shields. Iron Paddle tug.  L106.2. B18.9. D10.0' 121grt 60nhp. 2cyl Lever steam engine by  Thomas D Marshall, S Shields ON 27643

1859 Delivered to William & Thomas Jolliffe, Liverpool. 4-1863 Capt James Reed died aboard from heart disease off Gravesend. 1863 Sold to William Coppin, Londonderry. 1864 Sold to Hugh Andrews, Belfast. 1866 Sold to  David Stone & John Vanner, London. 1872 Sold to Hugh Andrews, Belfast. 1873 Sold to Belfast Harbour Commissioners. 1893 Re-engined 90nhp 2cyl side lever by J.D. Marshall at S-Shields. 1897 Sold to Hugh McIntyre, Glasgow. 1898 Sold to William Garscadden (Clyde Salvage Association), Glasgow.  1898 Owner George Garscadden, Leith. 1898 Owner Archibald McKinnon & William Slimon, Leith. 1909 Transferred to  Archiblad McKinnon & Robert Nicholson, Leith. 1911 Transferred to James Nicholson & Rutherford Fortune, Leith. 1912 Scrapped
------------------------------------------
 
LION 1902
 
Built 1902 by George Brown and Co Ltd., Greenock. YN11. Steel screw tug. L75.4’. B19.2’. D9.4’. 87grt. 5nrt. 550ihp. 3cylTE steam engine by Muir and Houston Ltd. ON115945.

1902 Delivered to  Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (1900) Ltd, London. 1927 Owners restyled  Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd. London. 27-11-1939 Req for  RAF balloon barrage service.  6-1-1941 Foundered, with loss of all crew, after hitting mine,  2½ cables from No.5 Medway Buoy, 2 miles from Garrison Point.
------------------------------------------
 
 
LONDON
 
Built 1836 at Gateshead. Wood paddle tug. L84.5'. B15.5'. D9'. 60hp Grasshopper type steam engine by W.  Hawks, Gateshead. ON9169 Callsign KGFH
 
1836 Delivered to Thames Steam Towing Company, London. 4-1844 Owners Thames Steam Towing Co., London. No further trace.
----------------------------------------------

LORD BANDON 1878

 Built 1878 by Joseph T. Eltringham & Co., South Shields (YN 69) Iron paddle tug/tender. L122.2’. B19.7’. D10.3’. 154grt. 30nrt. 95nhp. 2cyl 30.5”x 54” side lever steam engine by Hepple and Co., S. Shields. ON76862. Callsign LBTG.
 
1878 Delivered to R. Seaton, Cork. 26-3-1886 Owners Clyde Shipping Co Ltd., Glasgow. 24-9-1887 Renamed Flying Falcon.
1889 Owner William  Sandford, Gravesend. 27-3-1891 Owner Thomas C. Coggins, Liverpool. 10-8-1891 Transferred to Flying Falcon Tug Co Ltd., [manager Thomas C. Coggins] Liverpool. 5-1902 Sold to French buyers and reduced to a barge. No further trace.
-----------------------------------------------
 
LORD COLLINGWOOD
 
Built 1844 at Jarrow. Wood paddle tug. L71.6'. B14.4'. D8.3'. 67grt. 22nrt. 40nhp 2cyl lever engine by Urvin and Nicholson, Shields. 
 
1844 Delivered to unknown owner at London. 9-1846 Offered for sale by auction, lying at East India Dock, London. 22-2-1847 Acquired by Thomas Petley et al, London. No further trace.
-----------------------------------------   

LORD WARDEN 1868
 
Photog unknown
 
 Built 1868 by Readhead, Softley and Co., South Shields. YN36. iron paddle tug. L100.4’. B18.3’. D10.1’. 116grt. 23nrt. 55nhp 2cyl 28”x48” steam engine by builder. ON60856.
 
1868 Delivered to Joseph Martin & other Gravesend pilots. 1874 Sold to W J Homewood, London. 1878 Owner William H Ives & other Gravesend pilots. 1879 Sold to T A F Banks et al, Gravesend. 21-4-1879 Mate Charles Kemp crushed to death between tug and jetty at Plymouth. 1886 Sold to  Frederick Pattison & other Gravesend pilots. 2-1895 Owner Joseph T Eltringham, S Shields . 1895 Owner John Anderson & Robert Chater, N Shields. 1896 Owner John Anderson, N Shields. 5-1903 Transferred to The Anchor Steam Tug Co Ltd., Sunderland. 16-9-1920 Transferred to France Fenwick Tyne & Wear Co Ltd, Newcastle. 1920 Sold to Charles W Robinson, Middlesbrough. 1920 Sold to Charles Duncan & Sons Ltd, Middlesbrough. 16-1-1924 Scrapped.
--------------------------------------------
 
LUCY 1858
 
Built 1858 by Charles Lungley, Deptford. Iron paddle tug.  L71.3'. B16.3'. D8'. 68grt. 30nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine by John Stewart, Blackwall. ON21583.
 
1858 Delivered to Henry Lee Sr & Jr., Lambeth, London. 1859 Sold to George Collins, London. 1890 Still owned. 1898 Register closed presumed scrapped.
----------------------
 
 
 
MABEL 1890

Built 1890 by Westwood Baillie & Co, Poplar. Iron screw tug. L73.5’. B15.1’. D8’.  55grt. 9nrt. 50nhp 2cyl compound steam engine by Vulcan ironworks Ltd., Hull. ON98064
 
1890 Delivered to  James Watkins, London. 1891 Owner William Coombs, Llanely. 1891 Owner The Mabel screw tug company, Llanely. 2-10-1895 Rescued crew of collision damaged and sinking Barry pilot boat Maria. 1910 Owner William James Guy, Cardiff. 1913 Owner Thomas Spink, Hull. 1921 Owner United Towing Co Ltd., Hull. 1950 Scrapped.
-------------
 
MACGREGOR 1864
 
Built 1864 by Bainbridge and Wilson, Newcastle. Iron paddle tug. L103.7'. B19.9'. D10.1'. 134grt. 74nhp 2cyl steam engine by J P Almond, North Shields. ON49640.
 
1864 Delivered to Caledonian Steam Towing Company, London. 1873 Sold to J Martin et al, London. 1878 Sold to Joseph Corkhill, Liverpool. 1878 Owners United Steam Tug Company, Liverpool. 1882 Sold to Compania de Remolcadores Bilbainos, Bilbao. 1882 Renamed Sanson. No further trace.
---------------------------
 
 
 
MARIE 1875
 
Built 1875 by G. Butchard, Milton Ironworks, Gravesend. Iron paddle tug. L82'. B16.6'. D8.9'. 77grt. 10nrt. 30nhp 2cyl 22"x45" side lever steam engine. ON73650.
 
1875 Owned by G. Butchard, Gravesend. 1880 Sold to Kings Lynn Steam Tug Co. 15-2-1917 Sold to Tees Tug Co., Middlesbrough, renamed Monsdale. 30-7-1920 Owners Tees Towing Co. Ltd., Middlesbrough. 1923 Sold to Pounder, West Hartlepool for scrap for £100,
-------------------------------------------

 
MERRY ANDREW 1857
 
Photog unknown
 
Built 1857 by Thomas & William Smith, North Shields. Iron paddle tug. L120.9’. B20.3’. D10.3’. 178grt. 80nhp 2cyl side lever engine by builder. ON28072
 
1857 Delivered to unknown owner. 1860 Owner Thomas E. Smith, London. 1863 Sold to Admiralty. 1884 Owner Strong & Son, Birkenhead.  1884 Owner Robert, William, Nicholas & Henry Strong, Liverpool. 1893 Owners Strong Steam Tug Co Ltd, Liverpool. 1905 Scrapped.
-----------------------------
 
MERRY MONARCH 1854
 
Built 1854 by T & W Smith, North  Shields. Wood paddle tug. L110'. B18.6'. D10.3'. 166grt. Steam engine by Armstrong. ON
 
1854 Delivered to Charles Bastard, London. 28-3-1855 Purchased by Admiralty for service in Crimea, renamed Hearty. 1876 Scrapped at Malta.
--------------------------------
 
 
METEOR 1849
 
Built 1849 by Caird and Co, Greenock. YN19. Iron paddle Tug. L105.9’. B17.6’. D8.6’. 168grt. 30nrt. 60ihp 2cylSL steam engine by builder. ON32597.
 
2-1849 delivered to Clyde Shipping Co Ltd., Glasgow.  10-4-1854 Owner Nicol A. Mein, London. 21-6-1854 Owner Nicol A. Mein and Thomas Fisher, London. 11-6-1856 Sold to W. Buyers and A. Learmouth, Sydney NSW. 24-10-1856 Sold to William Fanning, Sydney. 18-8-1868 Sold to Chinese owners.
------------------------------
 
MIDDLESEX 1865
 
Built 1865 at Blackwall. Iron paddle tug. L105.4'. B18.6'. D9.8'. 136grt. 50nhp steam engine. ON54613.
 
16-7-1871 Rescued passengers from mail packet Leopold aground on South Foreland.  25-7-1971 Came across Bucton Castle on fire in Channel. Returned to Dover to collect South Eastern Railway, London Chatham and Dover railway and Dover fire pumps and took them out to vessel which then towed ashore at Lydden Spout. 1882[by] Owner George Haslip, London. 1884 Still owned.
----------------------------------
 
 
 MILTON 1866
 
 Built  1865 by George Butchard, Milton, Kent. Iron Paddle tug. L89.8'. B17.2'. D8.7'. 84grt. 40nhp steam engine. ON54631.
 
13-11-1865 launched for Telegraph S T Co, Gravesend. 1866  Owner A. R. Fisher, Gravesend.   187? Owner George Butchard, Gravesend. 6-12-1879 Whilst laying at buoy off S. E. India Dock entrance the eight man crew became aware the tug would be run down by the Italian SS Europa. They took to the tugs small boat, but this was capsized in the collision, resulting in loss of tugs mate, Henry Edward Cheeseman. 1881 [by] Owner George Haslip, London.1888 Sold to Corporation of Preston for £1365. 1899 Sold to Archibald Mackinnon, Leith for £575.
-----------------------------
 
MITCHELLS 1854
 
Built 1854 by William Thorburn & John Grant, N Shields. Wood paddle tug. 84grt.  L85.4'. B17.0'. D8.7'. 47nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine. ON9186.

14-7-1854 Delivered to Daniel Mitchell, N Shields. 23-3-1855 Sold to James Gill (London, waterman), Daniel Hathoway (Poplar, waterman), Frederick Francis White (Poplar, waterman), William Hockley (Limehouse, mariner), John Thomas (Gravesend, innkeeper), Edwin Williams (Gravesend, pilot) and William Williams (Gravesend, pilot) 1861 Owners James Gill (London, waterman), Frederick Francis White (Poplar, waterman), William Hockley (Limehouse, mariner), Edwin Williams (Gravesend, pilot), William Williams (Gravesend, pilot),  William Smith (Greenwich, lighterman) & William John Thomas (Gravesend, shipowner) 1879 Owners James W Hockley, Millwall and others 1885 Scrapped.
-------------------------------------------
 
 
MYSTERY 1852

 Built   1852 by Money Wigram and Sons, Northam.  Wooden Paddle Tug. L96.1' B16.6'.  D9.4'.  105grt. 43nrt. 80nhp 2cyl lever steam engine. ON27244
 
 1852 Delivered to  Richard. D. Ross, Gravesend and Daniel Oates, Blackwall. 12-1853 £140 awarded for towing Norden off Mouse Sand and to London.  4-6-1860 Towed disabled S/V R M Mills from off Beachy Head to Victoria Dock. 1866 Owner W Fletcher et al, London. 1867 Owner James Deane Jr., Melbourne. Delivered under sail. 1874 Owner Thomas Hesselton, Sydney. 1874 Owners Port Jackson Steam Boat Co, Sydney. 1875 Owner J Carey, Sydney. 1893 Owner Thomas B Rountree, Sydney. 189? Converted to barge.   
--------------------------------------
 
 
NELSON

1841 Owned by Shipowners Towing Co, London.

-----------------------------------------

 NELSON 1858

Built 1858 by Hessell and Holmes, Rye. Wooden paddle tug. L99'   B18'. D8.7'8899grt ON21589. 40nhp 2cyl side lever steam engine. ON21589
 

1858 Delivered to Daniel Barker, Southwark. 1-4-1863 Caught fire, burnt to waterline and sank off Gravesend canal basin. Later salved and repaired. 1869 Sold to John Ibbetson Spicer, Old Ford, Mddx. 1880 Sold to George J Spicer, Gravesend 1887 Sold to William Laidlaw Smith, Bow Creek.
1907 Register closed as "no account of the vessel since 1888, and owner cannot be traced
 
 

----------------------------------------

NETHERTON 1838
 
Built 1838  by George Readhead,  Blyth. Wood clench built  paddle tug. L60.5'. B13.8'. D7.3'. 45grt. 20nhp 1cyl side lever steam engine. ON2450.
 
1838 Delivered to unknown owner. 19-8-1839 Owners Robinson Burn and William Shepherd, Blyth. 1-1841 Owner Robinson Burn, Blyth. 2-1842 Owner Margaret Burn, Blyth. 7-1854 Owner George Redhead, Blyth. .  1857 Owner A Wardropper, Shields. 1866 Owner William Purdy et al, Shields. 10-1867 Owner T J Walter, Milton Gravesend. Reg transferred from London to Rochester 24-11-1868. 16-5-1869 Regd at Rochester to William Brown Spencerlaugh and Charles Perry Archer of Chatham, joint owners [Engineers.] 12-7-1869 [from newspaper] Advertised for sale by auction this date at Gravesend. Advertised as in first class condition following repairs to value of £200. 3-2-1870 Regd at Rochester to Thos J Walter, Milton Gravesend [Bill of sale 28-1-1870] Attached to reg papers letter from Spencerlaugh dated 1888 stating vessel broken up in 1870 as was not fit to use when he bought it!!and has no knowledge of whereabouts of parchment certificate. Reg papers marked closed 16-11-1888 'Broken up 1870; certificate lost.'

---------------------------------------
 
 
 
NEW UNITY
 
 Built 1844 at North Shields. Wood Paddle tug. L83.3'. B16.7'. D9.9'. 400hp Grasshopper type steam engine by J P Almond, North Shields. ON4253 Callsign JBRM

1-11-1844 Delivered to unknown owner at London. 1848 Sold to Thomas Petley t/as   United Steam Towing Co., London. 1859 Lengthened to 95'. 15-8-1862 Whilst turning iron ship Ganges opposite Shadwell basin the ship fell onto her beam ends and sank, supposedly due to insufficient ballast. 1863 Owner C C Nelson et al, London.

-------------------------------------

NEWCASTLE 1824

Built 1824 @ North Shore, Newcastle. Wood paddle tug. L86'. B14.6'. D9.8'. 93grt. 45hp. Grasshopper type steam engine by W Hawks, Gateshead. Flue boiler. Burnt 7 tons daily. Speed 7knts. Bunkers 18 tons. ON4376.

1824 Delivered to unknown owner. 1837 Sold to Symington Patent Paddle Towing Company, London. 6-1837 Captain and crew appeared in court after stealing a rice pudding from the Three Daws public house, Gravesend. 3-3-1847 Owners Shipowners Towing Company, London. 14-5-1847 Towed barque Baboo from Shadwell basin, having secured her line before the booked tug Lion of Thames Steam Towing Co. Whilst towing the pilot instructed Newcastle's master to cast off as he would not get paid.This eventually was done resulting in the barque going aground near Duke Shore, Limehouse and sustaining damage, the whole matter ending up in the Admiralty Court. 1858 Sold to Thomas Iremonger et al, Arundel. 1884 Owners W Nutter et al, Arundel. 
----------------------------------
 

OSCAR 1876

Built 1876 by G. Butchard, Milton, Gravesend. Iron paddle tug. L82'. B16.6. D8.9. 72grt. 45nhp 2cyl 22”x45” side lever steam engine by builder. twin funnels. ON73635
 
1876 Delivered to J Martin, London. 21-2-1879 Collided with barque Mystle Tie in Downs. 1879 Sold to G H Jewell, Kings Lynn. 1881 Sold to Dundalk Harbour Commissioners. 11-1907 Sold to Joseph Ridley, Tyneside. Converted to single funnel. 4-1920 Transferred to Ridley Steam Tug Co Ltd. 3-1932 Sold for £75 to Grahamsley Ltd for scrap.
----------------------
 
PALMERSTON 1866
 
Built 1866 by George Butchard,  Milton, Gravesend. Iron paddle tug. L90'. B17.0'. D9.4'. 95grt. 40nhp steam engine. ON56740.
 
1-11-1866 Trial trip for owners Telegraph S T Co., Gravesend. 1868[by] Owner William Miller, Peacock St., Gravesend. 2-1-1868 £70 salvage award for earlier service to disable schooner Isabella Leith towed into Ramsgate. 1876 Sold to J Martin, Harmer St., Gravesend. 1880[by] Owner George Butchard, Milton, Gravesend. 2-3-1880 Awarded £200 for towing barque Unicorn from the Downs to Gravesend. 15-10-1881 Towed derelict schooner Juliesche into Dover.
--------------------------------
 
PAUL JONES 1849
 
Built 1849 by John R Curry, North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L79.8'. B15.6'. D9.3'. 67grt. 60nhp steam engine by Young. ON9068.
 
1849 Delivered to John Strevens, James Hambleton & others, London. 1852 Owner Daniel Barker, London. 1853 Owners Daniel Barker, John & George Spicer & others, London. 1869 Owner G J Spicer et al, London. 1870 Owner J Ibbetson Spicer, Old Ford, London. 1881 Owner Charles Fox. 1890 Scrapped.
-------------------------------------
 
 
 
PENFOLD 1902
 
Built 1902 by Hawthorn and Co Ltd., Leith. YN93. L80'. B17'6". D8'6". 78grt 24nrt. 250ihp 2cyl 11"x24"x20"s compound steam engine.
 
1902 Delivered to War Office [RASC] and used for target and general towing based Weymouth. Named Stewart. 1946 Sold to Lenthall Bros., Teddington.  1949 Sold to Corporation of Preston for £2850 renamed Penfold. 1958 Sold to Mrs Ann Fielding, Dublin for £875. 195? Scrapped.
 
----------------------------------
 
PERSEVERANCE 1849

 Built    1849 at South Shields.  Wood paddle tug.  L97'. B17.7'. D10.8'. 146grt 100hp Grasshopper steam engine by J P Almond, North Shields. ON4255 Callsign JBRP
 
1849  Delivered to  Thomas Petley [t/as United Steam Towing Company] , London. 1865 Sold to W H Carey, London. 1970 Sold to Henry  Collings, London. 1871 Sold to  St. Katherines Dock Co., London. 1885 Same owners. 1887 No trace in LR.
-----------------------

PILOT 1837

 Built 1837. Wood paddle tug.
 
1837 Owners Symington Patent Paddle Towing Co, London.  1839 Owners Shipowners Towing Co, London. 1849 Owners Pilot Steam Tug and Steam Rescue Company, [Capt. Shepherd], London?? 12-9-1866 Sold to Russian owners at Odessa and renamed Salomen. Collided with Madona off Gravesend on delivery voyage to new owners.
------------------------------------

PLEIADES 1858
 
Built 1858 by Hepple and Landells, North Shields. Wood paddle tug. L84.3'. B18'. D8.9'. 58grt. 40nhp steam engine. ON19200.
 
1858 Delivered to W Reay, Portsmouth. 1864 Owner W Reay, London. 1866 Owner R Morgan et al, Cardiff. 18?? Owner Hepple and Co, Newcastle. 1891 Owners Tees Conservancy Commission. 1901 Reduced to a lighter. No further trace.
--------------------------------
 
 
 
POWERFUL 1842

Built 1842 by Daniel Bider, East Jarrow. Wood paddle tug. L102.5'. B19.1'. D10.5'. 144grt. 37nrt. 2cyl lever steam engine. ON10582.
 
1842 Unregistered.  1842 Acquired by The Ship Owner's Towing Co, London. 4-1844 Sold to William Forster, Samuel Howes Sr & Samuel Howes Jr, Liverpool. 1848 Owners Edward Forster, Samuel Howes Sr & Samuel Howes Jr, Liverpool. 1849 Owners Edward Forster, Henry Abbinott & Joseph Newton, Liverpool. 5-8-1858 Offered for sale by auction at Liverpool. 1859 Owner James Haddock, Liverpool. 1868 Scrapped.
---------------------------------------

POWERFUL 1857
 
Built 1857 by Westwood Baillie & Co., Poplar. Wood Paddle Tug. 88'x17.5'x8.8'. 88grt. 23nrt. 40nhp 2cyl lever steam engine. ON21166
 
1857 Delivered to William J Thomas and others, Gravesend, t/as Commercial Towing Co., London. 1881 [by] Owner George Lander, Gravesend. 1888 Sold to Thomas Bradley, Hessle. 19-11-1889 Sold to Humber Steam Towing Co., Hull. 1902 Sold to Frank Graves & Joseph Harrison, Hull. 20-2-1905 Sold to William Doughty, Hull. 21-4-1910 Sold to Samuel Harrison, Hull. 21-4-1917 Transferred to Harrison and Doughty Ltd., Hull. 27-7-1920 Sold to Roland Harrison, Hull. 3-2-1921 Sold to United Towing Co., Hull. 1924 Scrapped.
---------------------
 
PREMIER 1894
 
Photog unknown.

Built 1894 by A W Robertson and Co., Canning Town. Steel screw tug. L79’. B17.6’. D9.7’. 83grt. 400hp 2cyl 15.5”x32”x20”s compound steam engine by builder. ON102869.

1-1894 Delivered to Parkinson and Edwards, Gravesend. 25-4-1897 £160 award for assistance to SS W D Cruddas whose prop had fouled the chain of her mooring buoy in Greenwich Reach. 1-9-1907 Escorting Channel swimmer from Dover. 1-1917 £200 award for towing SS Fredriksberg clear of the military pontoon bridge at Gravesend, which the steamship had fouled in a gale. 1917 Owners Aldersyde Steam Fishing Co Ltd., Grimsby. 1918 Sold to Grimsby Steam Tug & Launch Co., Grimsby.  6-1918 Hired by RN. 1-1919 Returned to owners. 1920 Sold to Ridley Steam Tug Co Ltd., Tyneside. 4-1928 Sold for £1150 to Peter McLeod, Alloa. 1930 Scrapped at Alloa. 
---------------------------------

[THE] PRINCE 1859
 
Photog unknown

 Built   1859 at Rye.  Wooden Paddle Tug.  L90.3'. B18.5'. D9.0'.  89grt.  52nhp.  2cyl 27.5"x42" side lever steam engine  by J. A. Young, Blackwall. Official No.  28352.  PoR 1860 London. 1874 London. 1895 S. Shields.
 
1859  Delivered to  F. Spicer, Bermondsey, London.   c1868 Transferred to J. I. Spicer, Old Ford, London. 1874 Sold to D. S. H. Oates et Al, London. 1881 Sold to Ebenezer Edwards, Morant St,  Poplar. 12-1895 Sold to John  Dry, S. Shields. 5-1908 Transferred to  John Dry Steam Tugs Ltd. 1912 Scrapped at Hylton, River Wear.
--------------------
 
PRINCE CONSORT
 
No details known as yet.
-------------------------------------

PRINCE OF HESSE 1848

Built 1848 at Peters Quay, Northumberland. Wood Paddle Tug. L75'. B15.8'. D8.3'.  58grt. 130nhp. steam engine. ON46045
 
1848 Completed for John Ridley, Newcastle, named Wonder. 18?? Owner John Foster, Newcastle. 1862 Sold to Henry Robinson, London, renamed Prince of Hesse. 1864 Sold to William Hockley et al, London.  1870 Sold to James Gill, London. 1873 Sold to James Matthews, Hope Cottages, Gravesend,  1882 Still owned.
--------------------------------------
 
PRIVATEER 1898
 
Photog unknown.
 
 
Built 1898 by Willoughby Bros., Plymouth. Steel screw tug. L85.2'. B18'. D10.5'. 128grt. 2cyl 17"x34"x21"s compound steam engine by builder. ON108307. Callsign QBJD.
 
30-10-1897 Launched for C Etheredge, London. 1904 Owner G, Etheredge, 84 Narrow St., London. 1907 Sold to Chilean owners and renamed Lobo. No further trace. 
 
------------------------------------------